Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JoeG

Todady, walking through GCT, I realized I don't know what happened to Tracks 1-10. Were they ever used? Are they still there?

by trainjunkies

I believe they are used as yard tracks, to store trains in between runs.

by JoeG

Were they ever in service as passenger-access terminal tracks like the higher numbered ones?

by trainjunkies

I don't think so, at least I can't find any information to indicate that they were. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  by Noel Weaver

I believe they are called the "East Yard". When Amtrak was operating in
and out of GCT, two or three of these tracks were used to service the
Amtrak equipment, one or two for work train cars or garbage cars and
the remaining tracks for MU equipment, usually M-2's as the New Haven
was/is the general user of the tracks on that side of the house.
This may have changed today but I am stating the case during my time
there.
Noel Weaver

by MN Jim

That´s still basically true, except for the part about Amtrak. When they´re in NY, the inspection cars are stored there, also. And yes, it´s called the Ëast Yard¨. The tracks were never used for passenger service. Tracks 11 and 13 were originally part of the East Yard, but converted to passenger service later.

by AMoreira81

Also, doesn't Track 1 loop around to Tracks 38-42? (IIRC, the train reserved for the MNRR or MTA president is parked on Track 4 or 5. It is a push-pull consist.

by Lackawanna484

AMoreira81 wrote:Also, doesn't Track 1 loop around to Tracks 38-42? (IIRC, the train reserved for the MNRR or MTA president is parked on Track 4 or 5. It is a push-pull consist.
details, please. Pretty please...

by DutchRailnut

The MTA president has no train, The ex lackawanna Observations from Phoebe Snow train, plus a ex NYC center coach are part of MNCR's inspection train,
the cars are NOT push pull.

by Terminal Proceed

The inspection cars are not stored on track 4 or 5. They are stored wherever the yardmaster in GCT sees fit to put them, including being stored on platform tracks if necessary.

Track 1 is indeed the loop track and goes around to loop into tracks 38 - 42.

Tracks 1 - 10 are indeed the East or Lexington Ave yard.
  by bingdude

The MN inspection train is often moved to track 35 on Thursday nights. It looks like they hold private parties in them.

My invitation always gets lost in the mail :wink:

by AMoreira81

DutchRailnut wrote:The MTA president has no train, The ex lackawanna Observations from Phoebe Snow train, plus a ex NYC center coach are part of MNCR's inspection train,
the cars are NOT push pull.
What I mean are three cars numbered 1, 2, and 3. These were visible to those on the ACMU trip as it wound up. I may be mistaken on what that train is. IIRC, these cars were used on an excursion last October.

by Terminal Proceed

mn 1, 2 and 3 are the corporate inspection cars - those were the cars you saw. they are not necessarily the mnrr president's train cars. they are used for corporate events and the odd excursion here and there.
  by AMoreira81

Sorry, but could someone explain what the purpose is of these "corporate inspection" cars, and why they are named as such?

by Terminal Proceed

If you read my last post - it explains the use of these cars.