some abandoment dates and other stuff
Canastota - Kirkville abd 1955. The line between Canastota and Kirkville Junction was abandoned and connection to the main line was at
Canastota. Kirkville Junction was the start of the Syracuse Division. "CONRAIL" by MBI publications, states that the New York Central
cut it's West Shore as a through route between Utica and Buffalo in the mid '50's.
NY Mills branch - Vernon abd 1964.
The line between South Utica and Vernon was cut between 1961 and 1965. 1961 employee timetable shows it open,
1965 timetable does not. The "Rome Daily Sentinal" from May 3, 1964 announced: "The New York Central Railroad is seeking
permission to abandon a 12.3-mile section of its West Shore line from New York Mills to near Vernon. A 1969 publication of
Waldo Nielsen's "Guide to Abandoned Railroads" states that Vernon to Utica was abandoned in 1966. The only piece left is the 1/2
mile or so in New Hartford ( part of the NYS&W New York Mills Industrial)
South Fort Plain - South Little Falls abd 1971.
Harbor - NY Mills branch abd 1971.
The line through South Utica to a junction with the NYC mainline at Harbor was out of service sometime after 1965.
This section featured at least 16 unprotected grade crossings that required a flagman to cross. Industrial trackage which served the
old textile mills in New York Mills remained. In 1949, Harbor line West was double tracked and had a 35 MPH speed limit.
By 1961, it was single tracked and had a 15 MPH speed limit (some 10 MPH).
Ilion-South Little Falls, 9 miles, 1973
no customer left
South Amsterdam - South Fort Plain abd 11-1981.
Torn up by Conrail when the Beech-Nut business in Canajoharie dried up. Canajoharie (mile marker 190.3) was the only station
open on the line at the end. A twice-weekly freight from Selkirk ran to Fort Plain and laid over.
Ilion - Harbor abd 1982 ??
Harbor (mile marker 226.2; connection to NYC mainline near Utica). Connection continued West of Harbor to serve industries on
Broad Street industrial trackage in Utica. The Harbor connection (CP-24) lasted until at least 1987. It served both the Broad St.
Industrial Track and the West Shore eastward to Frankfort, South Ilion, and Mohawk. Line was first cut back to Frankfort
where the ex-West Shore RR shops were still standing, and some of the yard trackage was still there. CP-24 was always Harbor
Connection to Tk. 2 only. No need for crossover to Tk. 1 as CP-25 was a universal plus access to the North Control Siding and
Utica Yd. Double track connection to Utica Yard was via the overhead bridge at CP-24.
Vernon Industrial Track, Wampsville-Canastota, .9 miles, 28 Oct 1982
Vernon Industrial Track, Onieda Castle-Wampsville, 5 miles, 09 May 1983
Vernon - Canastota torn up 1984.
Canastota was an interchange with the Lehigh Valley. NYC/PC left the main at Canastota on a switch back and ran east to
Vernon 3 days a week in the 50's.There was switching action at the Beacon Feed Mill, Dalton Lumber, Chapman Gas, coal for
Oneida Ltd and a few customers (feed, grain, farm machinery) in Vernon.
West Shore continued to South Amsterdam mile marker 165.9. At Cranesville (mile marker 161), it served a large quarry (Cushing) and
several other industries. This section was torn up in 2004 after being out of service for several years.
South from mile marker 159.6 was always important, never abandoned. Tower "RJ": mile marker 159.6; open day and night in 1961
but closed by 1965. Connection to New York Central mainline at Hoffmans. NYC continued to operate the West Shore as it was built until the early 20's,
when plans were made to construct a bypass around the difficulties of freight operation through Albany.
The "Selkirk Bypass," as it was called, incorporated a high steel bridge across the river, and a two-hump classification yard
in the swampy area between Selkirk and South Bethlehem. This yard evolved into today's modern Selkirk Yard.
A piece of the original route between Feura Bush and Ravena through South Bethlehem was abandoned in
sections over the years after Selkirk was originally built (1924) and when it was rebuilt (1967).
Before all the abandonments, the West Shore saw many detour movements. The last documented one I have seen was 1967.
December 1983 "Call Board" (M&H Chapter-NRHS) front page shows a Jim Shaughnessy photo of the "Empire State Express"
detouring over the West Shore at Pattersonville, NY, on November 30, 1967. It involved movement from Schuyler
Jct to Harbor to WH (South Schenectady) over the Carman Connection to Tower 7, then into Albany.