Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1298499  by trainbrain

If Westmont is opened, Garfield will definitely be "Great Notched". It is old and needs major repairs, so why not close it if there is a brand new station being built close by.
 #1298509  by pumpers

Where exactly is the new station going? Is there a map on-line of the plans?
On the north end of that tract (near Main Ave), or down on the other end. It looks about 1/2 mile from one end to the other. Main Ave seems only ~ 1/2 mile from Garfield station - rather close, so I believe the "goodbye Garfield" posts. JS
 #1298527  by sullivan1985

pumpers wrote:Where exactly is the new station going? Is there a map on-line of the plans?
On the north end of that tract (near Main Ave), or down on the other end. It looks about 1/2 mile from one end to the other. Main Ave seems only ~ 1/2 mile from Garfield station - rather close, so I believe the "goodbye Garfield" posts. JS
It will be at the east end of the S-Curves east of Garfield station right as the straight to Rutherford begins.
 #1298978  by pumpers

sullivan1985 wrote:
pumpers wrote:Where exactly is the new station going? Is there a map on-line of the plans?
It will be at the east end of the S-Curves east of Garfield station right as the straight to Rutherford begins.
Hmm. That sounds like the south end of the site, near what shows on my Google map as an NJT (ROW?) maintenance facility. But the possible road access looks to be near the north end (Main Ave). Guess I'll have to wait and see. JS
 #1298990  by Hawaiitiki

I found a map with the old alignment on the curve. Is it scary to anybody else that not one architect/engineer realized that a platform wouldn't work on a curve of that radius until long after this map that probably came after years of development.

Perhaps it was a Marketing ploy by the developer to push the project because the now under construction station is nearly off of this map and will be a significant walk for some folks in this development, who were more than likely sold on being able to "walk" to the train.

http://njtod.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... opped1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless, if this plan ends up coming to fruition, I think it has the potential to be model for future brownfield (which NJ is quite ripe with) transit related developments.
 #1299696  by ryanov

trainbrain wrote:If Westmont is opened, Garfield will definitely be "Great Notched". It is old and needs major repairs, so why not close it if there is a brand new station being built close by.
Because one is like a three mile walk from the other.
 #1305840  by EuroStar

Does anyone know why there are a bunch of concrete ties in what appears to be a "small lake" west of both tracks next to the former diary plant? They have been sitting there for more than an year. Is the track going to be realigned there? Also what is the deal with the drainage? Freezing water is no friend of concrete ties -- why are they even considering using concrete ties in this area? I thought that Metro-North just replaced large swats of concrete ties in an area in the Bronx where similar drainage problem existed.
 #1319420  by Roadgeek Adam

I visited the site today:

From the hills above. Wasn't easy to find through the hills.

Helm Street approach.

The development.

Looks like progress. No signage yet, but there are gooseneck lights on the platform.
 #1319779  by Hawaiitiki

Great Pics. First good impression of what its actually going to look like. Also, one of the handful of new projects that NJT is actually actively working on. Sad times that's the case in such an up economy.

Also a bummer, after this station got moved around, going to a be a bit of a hike for those folks living right on Passaic Ave, which happens to be the only part of this development that has been built.
 #1319833  by Roadgeek Adam

Hawaiitiki wrote:Great Pics. First good impression of what its actually going to look like. Also, one of the handful of new projects that NJT is actually actively working on. Sad times that's the case in such an up economy.

Also a bummer, after this station got moved around, going to a be a bit of a hike for those folks living right on Passaic Ave, which happens to be the only part of this development that has been built.
It is a freaking hike, but development is also getting closer and closer to the station. Not far from 14th Street is a closed route to the old Curtiss-Wright plant that appears to be a future road to the development near the station. Its location may be beneficial.
 #1319907  by pumpers

Adam, thanks for posting.

Can we get the moderator to change the title to Wesmont, as noted earlier in the thread. Google maps reminded me today that there is Westmont Station in NJ already (on the PATCO line out of Philadelphia).
JS
 #1320234  by CentralValleyRail

pumpers wrote:Adam, thanks for posting.

Can we get the moderator to change the title to Wesmont, as noted earlier in the thread. Google maps reminded me today that there is Westmont Station in NJ already (on the PATCO line out of Philadelphia).
JS
Are you really being serious with nitpicking?

Westmont is part of PATCO as you mentioned which is under the Septa page not the NJ Transit page. There is ZERO reason to change it.
 #1320319  by Hawaiitiki

CentralValleyRail wrote:

JS
Are you really being serious with nitpicking?

Westmont is part of PATCO as you mentioned which is under the Septa page not the NJ Transit page. There is ZERO reason to change it.
Well the fact that it is wrong IS a reason to change it. I wouldn't call it an urgent necessity, but it would also reflect to more accurate results on search engines if someone was actually looking for information on the NJT Wesmont vs the PATCO Westmont. I'd say two rail public transportation stations with similar names in one of the smallest states in the country is a decent reason also to distinguish. Old timers here on RR.net are obv clear on the distinction, but newbies may not be.
 #1320522  by nick11a

JS
Got it.