Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by checkthedoorlight

This past Saturday morning, I was taking a trip up to Southeast. I am usually carrying a GCT (1) to Stamford (16) weekly or monthly ticket, being a daily commuter. I have flashed this ticket to go to White Plains and Hawthorne (and even once to Peekskill and back) a number of times without a problem, and it was under my understanding that weekly and monthly tickets could be used on all three lines, as long as they corresponded to the same zone. However, when the conductor on this train saw my ticket and I told him I was going to Southeast, he said that my ticket was only valid on the New Haven line, and forced me to buy a completely separate ticket from Grand Central to Southeast, rather than just paying the difference.

Does anyone know what the official policy on this is? I also sent the first paragraph to the contact line on the MTA website.

by Terminal Proceed

WEEKLY and MONTHLY tickets valid between GCT and an intermediate station ARE valid on all three lines. Single trip, round trip, 10 trip tickets, etc.. Harlem/Hudson ones are only interchangeable on Harlem/Hudson - NH only good on NH.

Your Monthly or weekly to Stamford IS valid to go to Southeast, however, it is not good enough to cover the entire ride. The conductor should have known this. I don't have my diversion of stations table here at home and am currently on a flagging job so I won't have access to it for a while.

The conductor should have consulted his/her diversion table to establish how far your Stamford ticket would take you and then charged you the difference. If you kept the conductor receipt, you should contact customer service, (the number is in the last paragraph located on the back of your conductor issued receipt), explain the situation and I am sure your money would be refunded.

However, if in the future it should happen again, you should comply with the conductor's request, (as I am sure you did this time), to pay the fare and contact customer service afterward.

It's not worth getting into a pissing match just to make a point, (not saying you did - but as a general observation), over something which can be rectified later on.

BUT REMEMBER EVERYBODY - your MONTHLY or WEEKLY ticket must be valid into GCT/125 St to be used across on other lines. A monthly/weekly from Larchmont to Rye would not get you a ride from Bronxville to WP.

Call customer service as I am sure you are entitled to a refund if you have your receipt.

MNJim - can you verify if they would be refunded?

Thanks

Kevin

by checkthedoorlight

I already received word back from MTA customer service, and yes, the conductor goofed. If I send a photocopy of my weekly ticket along with my receipt, they will refund the difference.

A GCT - Stamford weekly ticket is valid as far as Golden's Bridge, so to continue the trip I should have bought a Purdys - Southeast single ride.

by Jersey_Mike

Single trip, round trip, 10 trip tickets, etc.. Harlem/Hudson ones are only interchangeable on Harlem/Hudson - NH only good on NH.
Because NH tickets are more expensive than the other two lines (thank you very much stingy CT Legislature) why dosen't MN accept Nh on the Hudson and Harlem lines, but not vice versa? If a customer wants to overpay for his ride, why not let him or her do so?

by MN Jim

Put simply, because CDOT says so.

Jim

by checkthedoorlight

I think it may have something to do with $ distribution. I was once told by a conductor that the reason that passengers can not board at 125 or Fordham when going inbound on the New Haven line is because the zone 1-2 single ride ticket is considered Harlem/Hudson, and CDOT wouldn't see a penny of it, and they don't want anyone using their trains for free.

This still doesn't explain why they DO allow New Haven monthlies and weeklies to be used on the other two lines though....

by Jersey_Mike

I always assumed that costs of the NH line were split proportionly between NY and CT as the NH Line runs in NY between WOODLAWN and Port Chester. Is this not the case?

by mkm4

Jersey_Mike wrote:I always assumed that costs of the NH line were split proportionly between NY and CT as the NH Line runs in NY between WOODLAWN and Port Chester. Is this not the case?
From what I've read in the past, the costs are split 80-20 with ConnDot paying the 80%.

by drewh

I couldn't find any info about zones on the MTA web site. How are they set up?? Could a savy commuter by a Harlem line monthly and use it to CT thereby saving money??

by Terminal Proceed

This is not a forum to assist people in ticket scams. If any are posted they will be promptly deleted.

Kevin

by andy

It's too bad that the Diversion Table isn't available to customers so we can't determine this ourselves.

Anyway, the few times I had to pay a full fare on a different line, they promptly refunded me.

by Nester

Terminal Proceed wrote:This is not a forum to assist people in ticket scams. If any are posted they will be promptly deleted.
Where's the scam? In the [extremely] unlikely event that the diversion of service table is ever so screwed up that passengers can take advantage of it, the only loser would be the state of Connecticut, whom after years of poorly underfunding railroad operations, is lucky they see any revenue out of Metro-North.

Personally, I think MN should hold CT's money in escrow to help fund replacement cars for the NH service pool. It stinks that NY riders (on the NH line) have to ride in junk because CDOT won't come up with the money :)

Nester

by mkm4

drewh wrote:I couldn't find any info about zones on the MTA web site. How are they set up?? Could a savy commuter by a Harlem line monthly and use it to CT thereby saving money??
No. The zone numbers are different. Look at one of the paper tickets the conductors issue, you'll see the differences and look at one of the full size New Haven schedules for the price differences.

by MN Jim

andy wrote:It's too bad that the Diversion Table isn't available to customers so we can't determine this ourselves.
What's to determine? The rules are simple:

Tickets reading to/from GCT or 125th Street:
Monthly and weekly are valid on any line, as long as the fare paid for the ticket you present is the same as or higher than the fare required for the desired trip, and you're using it to/from GCT or 125th St.

Harlem and Hudson Line single-trip and ten-trip tickets are interchangeable between the Harlem and Hudson Lines only. New Haven Line single-trip and ten-trip tickets are valid only on the New Haven Line.

Intermediate tickets:
Only ten-trip tickets on either the Harlem or Hudson lines can be used for travel on the other line, and only in the same fare zones. For example, if you have a Morris Heights to Dobbs Ferry ten-trip, you can use that ticket to travel from Fordham to White Plains. H&H ten-trips are not valid on the NHL, and vice-versa.

Now you don't need the diversion tables.

As for "scams" based on optional acceptance: can't happen. The rule is so simple as to prevent a customer, savvy or not, from gaining an advantage. The rule is based on the dollar value of the tickets, not the stations or fare zones, so you either paid enough for the trip or you didn't.

Jim

by Jersey_Mike

Personally, I think MN should hold CT's money in escrow to help fund replacement cars for the NH service pool. It stinks that NY riders (on the NH line) have to ride in junk because CDOT won't come up with the money :)
The only thing saving the Railfan windows on the New Haven line is the lack of CT funding. Those Budds on the blue line had years left on them, yet MNRR had to fritter away their $$ on flashy new equipment. They'd be better off extending the third rail to Peekskill or maybe just keeping their wallet closed and not racking up 11 billion in debt in the first place.