Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by railtrailbiker

High winds this morning knocked trees down over railroad tracks, wreaking havoc on Metro-North's Harlem and New Haven lines and causing delays of up to 90 minutes.

The railroad announced reduced service, one train an hour, beginning at 10 a.m. between North White Plains and Grand Central Terminal on the Harlem Line, which runs from New York City up through eastern Dutchess County to Wassaic.

Metro-North said service changes are possible throughout the day due to the harsh weather conditions.
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps ... 1/60118003

by Clean Cab

As one can imagine, the high winds played absolute havoc with the overhead wires on the New Haven line. Most of the damage was to "Signal Feeder" wires which do not supply traction power to the trains, rather they provide signal and lighting power. As of 6:00PM last night, the ET (Electrical Traction) department was working in 3 different places along the New Haven line. The New Canaan Branch was without signal power even through the evening rush hour, so trains had to go up the branch against the direction of traffic at only 15 mph. By late last night signal power had once again been restored.

The ET department was still trying to repair a huge mess of downed signal lines at Riverside station from Saturday night's storm when this latest bit of wind came to town. It will be several more dayes until all repairs are made.

by boston774

Are signal lines buried anywhere on Metro-North? I thought I remember that that was under consideration on the Danbury branch.

Is this even practical? I realise I am showing my ignorance here...

by Clean Cab

The type of signal wires I'm reffering to are high voltage (11,000 VAC) that are used to provide power for lighting at stations, crossing protections, signal houses ("CILs") and even radio comminucations. They are suspened above the catenary wire on what's called the "T"s. There is one group of wires on each side of the tracks, in case one goes out.

by Carmine

I don't know if its related but the Adirondack, train 68 on 1/18, was well over 4 hours late into Albany. Passengers were bused down to points south of ALB.