Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by GirlOnTheTrain

Service is also partially throttled by mainline slots or lack thereof. If anything is built to modify Waterbury branch capacity and free up mainline space, it should be a permanent Devon transfer station.
  by west point

It has been too long since on the MNRR east line. How constrained is main line capacity on the New Haven line due to the reconstruction of the various draw bridges? schedule planning probably has to do with the periods that only 2 tracks will be i use at the various draws?

What are the various constraints of MNRR running longer trains especially those that are going to be connecting trains off the branches? I suspect that we might see a contraction of thru trains off the branches.
  by ElectricTraction

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:14 pmWoops I meant to say if Devon Transfer is ever a permanent station, then most of the trains running to and from Waterbury would run as far south as Devon. I don't want to go too far off topic but in terms of having Amtrak stop at Barnum if it ever gets built, not sure about that. The current Bridgeport Station is really the main intermodel transit center in that city because not only do you have Metro North NHL and WBL trains but you also have the ferries that run from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson and back. There are probably many people who live in Suffolk County in the Port Jefferson area who depend on the ferry to connect to Amtrak trains. It's too bad that there is no room for anymore tracks at Bridgeport Station because the WBL trains can layover there without having to sit on any of the Main Line tracks for a long time.
Bridgeport just can't handle Amtrak, it needs to be reserved for through MN trains ONLY. A bus shuttle or timed transfers with MN trains could handle the transfer between the two. As part of the project, MN should just make the fare between the two free. MN shouldn't turn trains in Bridgeport, they should mostly terminate at Devon Transfer, with a few running through to STM.
robelybasis wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:49 pmSomething CDOT/MNR should push for is a turning track 0.1 Mi South of Bridgeport station along the higher embankment outside the Ferry Terminal, similar to how Danbury Branch trains sit in South Norwalk off the mainline.
That's a band-aid to building Barnum and Devon Transfer.
west point wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:10 amWhat are the various constraints of MNRR running longer trains especially those that are going to be connecting trains off the branches? I suspect that we might see a contraction of thru trains off the branches.
Basically platforms. They're already running 9-car trains, but the longer you go the more unwieldy things get at some of the older, shorter platforms if you don't extend them all to the full 12-car length. And going beyond the 9-car platforms at NHV starts to get unwieldy.

Extending all the platforms to 10-12 cars isn't a terrible idea, but there are a lot of other improvements that could be done first. West Haven was built with 12-car platforms, so clearly the idea is that 12 cars is the ultimate limit for the New Haven Line, as it is throughout much of the NYC commuter rail system.

The challenge with scheduling, especially on the weekends, is that they seem to end up with several connections on one train, and none on another, so the train with connections turns into a bit of a zoo due to the low weekend frequencies on the branches/SLE/Hartford.