Railroad Forums 

• WATCO on NYAR

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1478423  by DogBert

Way to inflate a story.

They basically operate one or two blocks. It's literally a shuttle from storage sidings one side of Varick ave to the other side of the street.

Their LIC/Blissville haul is slightly longer, probably two city blocks - from the siding, down a few hundred feet of track across Greenpoint ave and into Blissville Yard.

They pick off and drop off cars at the end of each yard that is closest to their siding, so they basically never move beyond those small confines.

Their trains consist of 4 or 5 flats of trash containers, hauled by a shuttlewagon. Blissville is pretty flat but that thing would struggle hard trying to get up the grade to Fresh Pond.
 #1478489  by DaveBarraza

Thanks Dogbert. I guess the sales guys wrote the copy for the website!

I've seen them make the move at Bliss from the new facility to the little yard there. Do they still stash cars on what used to be the Montauk Cutoff? Definitely a grade there!

Those WATCO guys would still have to be qualified on rules to operate though, right?? I would guess so...
 #1479341  by gregorygrice

WATCO operates at both Varrick Ave (Brooklyn) and Review Ave (Queens) Waste Management facilities. They shuttle empties and loads between the nearby staging yards to the loading facilities. While this is occurring, blue flags and derails are put up by the WATCO crews locking them.
 #1487133  by DaveBarraza

gregorygrice wrote:WATCO operates at both Varrick Ave (Brooklyn) and Review Ave (Queens) Waste Management facilities. They shuttle empties and loads between the nearby staging yards to the loading facilities. While this is occurring, blue flags and derails are put up by the WATCO crews locking them.
Thanks!