Railroad Forums 

For discussion of the various Class III Lines of WATCO Companies. Class II holdings should be discussed in the relevant separate forums above.

Their website is here: http://www.watcocompanies.com/
A list of their holdings is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watco_Companies
 #370731  by Akduke

Does anyone know how much Watco Companies Inc. pay? Are they a good company to work for?

#370906  by CSX-COAL HAULER

?????? Where and what is the Watco company??????? :P :P :P :P

#370907  by cifn2

CSX-COAL HAULER wrote:?????? Where and what is the Watco company??????? :P :P :P :P
LOL Figured you would know that CSX... google it, I have searched railroads before in IL and found them....

They have trucking and rail services, they own alot of shortlines or regionals, which were usually once part of larger networks.

http://www.watcocompanies.com/
 #380310  by GOLDEN-ARM

Akduke wrote:Does anyone know how much Watco Companies Inc. pay? Are they a good company to work for?
A lot less than you would be happy with. And, better than Econo-Rail......... :P
 #381982  by TheDude

Hey,

I have heard two accounts about Watco, both bad. My dad worked for a insurance company that had to deal with them and he said they were complete a#$holes to deal with. Then mom worked with this chick and she left to go work for the company headquaters in Kansas. The lady said they were just a depressing company to work for and she didn't stay long at all working for them. Pretty crazy when the state of Kansas just gave them the Kansas Business of the Year a couple years ago.

But that is all from the corporate side of things and maybe the train service side of things is alright to work for. But from what Golden Arm says it sounds like the pay is not too good at all. So is that outfit that runs about a 10 dollar an hour railroad without union protection?

I wanted to know more about Watco too. I have been trying to look up info on them around on the internet but I have been unsuccessful. There was a job they had I was interested in for the KC terminal railroad, I think the KAW River Railroad. But it doesn't look too positive as a railroad to work for.

Good luck,
Dude

#382082  by rwallace2fan1

i applied for them back in August through NARS, and when they called me back I asked their rate of pay and was told about 12.50 to 17.00 per hour. A couple of my classmates also were called and were told different numbers, so your guess is as good as mine 10-17 per hour. By the way, I have applied for a couple of different locations with them, and never heard from them again. Thankfully, because I now work for UP. :-D

#382390  by throttlebender

Wow Watco sounds like a horrible place to work. I would never work for $10 or $15 an hour working 12 hour+ days with junk equipment, unsafe, crappy track and bad management. No way!

#383215  by Akduke

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the input. I really wanted to get back to Montana and was considering on trying to push the issue with them. But in the mean time I accepted a job with UP in Green River Wyoming as a locomotive electrician. Thanks again everyone.
 #391627  by e.sillery

Watco is a very cheap railroad to work for. Here in Tuscaloosa, AL the conductors make about 16.00 an hour and engineers 18.00. It is a very dangerous place, safety rules are not enforced. Engineer trainees get 40 hours of seat time then they are turned loose. Lots of experience, huh. We run from just outside of Birmingham to Artesia, MS. It is 10 mph track all the way. They do not maintain anything, they just repair what breaks, track, engines, etc...

Our GM was an engineer 18 months ago. Not much experience here either, He is a good guy, just no supervisory experience.

Watco was started by a former KCS guy and he has modeled this company after KCS. Why model it after a company that if not for its excessive debt it would already have been bought out by UP or BNSF due to its mismanagement?
 #593136  by jlbrown87

Does anyone know the pay for Kansas City, MO Watco KAW? I heard it was 19.00/ 12 hrs per day
 #593137  by rwallace2fan1

jlbrown87 wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Kansas City, MO Watco KAW? I heard it was 19.00/ 12 hrs per day
See above post, that was for the KC area.
 #593325  by GOLDEN-ARM

e.sillery wrote: Our GM was an engineer 18 months ago. Not much experience here either, He is a good guy, just no supervisory experience.
Let's hope he isn't A King, or some other such "self imagined royalty". If so, trust me, he was no engineer....... :P
 #594123  by e.sillery

Hey Golden... yes A king is/was the GM. I no longer work there. I would rather feed mountain lions out of my shorts for a living, it would be safer than working there. I found out His Highness King was never an engineer. I think he told that to try and fit in. He turned out to be a real piece of work. How do you know him?
 #594145  by GOLDEN-ARM

I spent a lifetime trying to work with him, for 6 months, a few years ago.......... :(