Railroad Forums 

• Waste Management in LIC - first cars.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1337508  by DogBert

WM-IMG_6447.jpg
WM-IMG_6447.jpg (209.1 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
The first 4 test cars have arrived at the LIC siding sometime this last week.

I say 'test cars' because I doubt they're loading/unloading anytime soon. I'd imagine the crew that will be moving them btw. here & blissville will need some time to get trained.

When this move gets going it's suppose to be another 12-15 outbound loads per day if I recall right.
 #1337533  by DogBert

Maybe testing isn't the right word... I'm assuming they'll be training the crew that will be moving the cars from the siding to blissville on the does and don'ts of shuffling the cars around. I'm assuming they are new hires with no or limited RR experience.

The siding and pretty much all of blissville is new or newly connected track that hasn't seen loaded cars. It looks like they'll be backing up in one direction, over two crossings, so there's safety considerations (both have gates, but I assume someone will walk and flag)

There's also the personnel that'll be moving the containers to and from the loading building, loading the containers on and off the flat cars, etc.

I'd imagine they'll want to make a few dry runs before actual work begins.
 #1337610  by AlKaLI

@ Dogbert:

What is the location of you photo? I was trying to find your past posts about the installation of this siding.
I don't think Google has been updated for this switch and track yet. Could you give a rough address? Isn't this close to the old Allied plant?
Also is the photo looking east or west?

Thanks, AlKaLI
 #1337637  by DogBert

Yes, it's just east of allied - just out of view on the far left is the end of their weird ole' switchback siding. The crossing is brand new. Not sure of the address. The photo os facing east, with the BQE bridge in the background.

They'll be using their own crew to shuffle cars, like what they do in bushwick and the bronx. Probably 3 or 4 moves a day btw the siding and blissville.
 #1338701  by DogBert

Not sure I can say 'supplemental' - it's basically new. I forget what neighborhoods bushwick's trash facility handles, but so far as I know the LIC spot is for trash coming from households in all of western queens.

It's part of the plan started ages ago whereby every area would handle their own trash, instead of dumping on staten island.

I'm assuming bushwick will remain exactly the same. Thus this will be a nice bump up in carloads, even if NY&A only has a short haul of it to fresh pond.
 #1338952  by DaveBarraza

Did the configuration of bliss yard change? I thought it used to only be accessible via an eastbound facing point at the west end of the yard. Is that The move for shuffling the MSW cars: loads go west through Bliss onto C sec and reverse on the bridge?
 #1339017  by DogBert

DaveBarraza wrote:Did the configuration of bliss yard change? I thought it used to only be accessible via an eastbound facing point at the west end of the yard. Is that The move for shuffling the MSW cars: loads go west through Bliss onto C sec and reverse on the bridge?

Yeap, they added switches on the east end of the yard not long ago - I know I posted some updates on that in the blissvile thread, maybe photos too.
 #1341992  by DaveBarraza

DogBert wrote: Yeap, they added switches on the east end of the yard not long ago - I know I posted some updates on that in the blissvile thread, maybe photos too.
You're absolutely right, thanks for the heads up!

We drove down to check it out and actually some the critter towing some MSW cars through Bliss!

Scroll down for a video
https://davebarraza.wordpress.com/2015/ ... t-a-waste/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1342088  by ccutler

Dave, I've made a custom mold for those trash containers that is far more accurate than the Atlas models. If you like I could manufacture some for you, but I would caution that painting and decaling them are true headaches.
 #1342400  by DaveBarraza

ccutler wrote:Dave, I've made a custom mold for those trash containers that is far more accurate than the Atlas models. If you like I could manufacture some for you, but I would caution that painting and decaling them are true headaches.
Good to know! I've got exactly one "pantload" of the Atlas guys. But if I need more and/or better looking ones...