Railroad Forums 

• Was Entenmann's Bay Shore Bakery every a railroad client?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1260293  by Sir Ray

Spurred on by the news that the Entenmann's Bakery on 5th Avenue in Bay Shore is closing (the first part of this year so far has been ugly on private employment on Long Island so far), I wonder that facility was ever a rail-freight client - it was built in 1961, about 10 blocks south of the LIRR in that area, don't really see a ROW but maybe there was one, but if there wasn't then there's always transloading or it's 1960s team track equivalent.

OK, so by law you are required to say something nice about a business from your past - when I was a teenager I really liked the oversized chocolate donuts they sold.

Odd - while LI private sector employment went down in Jan/Feb, Manufacturing numbers went up - guess they didn't all work at Amoc Plastics...
Long Island’s private sector job count decreased by 3,400 between January and February (not seasonally adjusted), more than double the typical loss of 1,500. Data suggest that bad weather may have had an impact on job growth in February. Natural resources, mining, and construction lost 1,300 jobs, almost twice the average loss of 700. Snow may have also hindered retail activity, with the sector shedding 4,600 jobs in February, nearly 1,000 more jobs than is normal for the month. In positive news, the manufacturing sector gained 400 jobs between January and February, compared to the 10-year average loss of 100.
 #1260360  by NYCS

Wow, another industry on Long Island closing? SOMEBODY alert the media! :wink:

It doesn't look like Entenmann's was rail-served, as I see no ROW provisions or hints thereof. Based on property lines along the LIRR ROW and between Pine Aire Dr., it doesn't appear a provision ever existed for a curved turnout that would take a siding 10 blocks south to the facility. A google search yielded nothing either. Of course somebody more knowledgeable could always prove me wrong.

I'm absolutely stymied as to how Long Island is able to sustain itself on nothing but split-level ranch houses and shopping centers.
 #1260377  by Sir Ray

NYCS wrote:Wow, another industry on Long Island closing? SOMEBODY alert the media!
Someone already did - I read it on-line in Newsday. :P
I do find it a bit odd that Entenmann's didn't build near the tracks back in 1961 so they could have a siding for say Flour and other food product deliveries - the LIRR was still doing decent freight service back then (and wouldn't fall apart till the 1970s), and there was land available off the mainline in the 1960s.
 #1260382  by NYCS

What a tremendous asset rail access would be in that area, though...

Zoom in to orange line in the map below:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 7rKmvHsmEM

PS: Sir Ray, I was being sarcastic :wink:
 #1265365  by 4behind2

Entenmann's did receive carloads of flour from the CI Team Track in the 1980's, just a few at a time.

There was a push for more service from the carrier using deregulated interline rates during this time frame. Supposedly, the first test shipment derailed at Hall's Interlocking in Jamaica due to thin flanges on the MoPac flour cars. After that, service was sporadic, and eventually stopped in the 1990's.
 #1265734  by Crabman1130

freightguy wrote:I believe CI team is near Rt 111/ Carlton Ave and should be diagonal from the former LILCO property which also had a siding. It sits on the NE corner and the team track is a couple carlengths at best.
I don't see any sidings near there. I believe that that's where the CISH spur came off the main.
 #1265833  by freightguy

Yeah sorry it's been awhile. It's close to the cement plant in Central Islip and I believe siding is on NE corner of whatever street it intersects. It's a hand thrown switch so an engine and a couple of cars wouldn't be able to clear up in there as per the rules. Kaufman Allied did take a few cars from NYA before the switch was ripped out and I believe that was an electric lock after electrification.