Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#479169  by BERK44

Some time ago I rember hearing talk of a station on the Danbury line in the Wall St area of Norwalk. I see there used to be a station in this area some time ago. Opperationally would this be difficult? I know there is a housing site approved to be going up in the area of the bus station just north of the tunnel. I've not seen or heard anything on this subject lately.

#479310  by DutchRailnut

Why would you want a station 1.2 mile from South Norwalk ?????
ever hear of walking or bike ???
Heavy rail can't stop everywhere peole already complain the Danbury Branch is slow, lets add another 3 minutes for a useless stop.

#479361  by BERK44

It was briefly mentioned when the project was announced some time ago.than not at all after that. It didn't seem practical to me either. I now have a good answer. Thank you.
 #479438  by Tom Curtin

The New Haven did indeed have a "Wall Street station," which was certainly a considerable misnomer since it was not at Wall Street --- it was near (and accessible only from) Commerce Street crossing. In what has to be one of the great ridiculous service decisions, it was served by one train per day --- not one in each direction, I said one per day!

That said, for God's sake save us from instituting any more stops!!! Merritt 7 was originally put in to serve workers at the corporate park there, now you have everything, 365 days a year, stopping there. The lest year or so there's been buzz of reinstituting Georgetown. Where will all this end? Will we see Cartherine Street, Winnipauk, Hopkins, Topstone? Oh yes, and East Danbury!!!

#479455  by BERK44

Thanks for the info. The system in Norwalk does work well. In the Wall St area and Catherine St. there is a bus that goes to Merrit 7. Its very conveinent.

#479569  by sullivan1985

DutchRailnut wrote:Why would you want a station 1.2 mile from South Norwalk ?????
ever hear of walking or bike ???
Heavy rail can't stop everywhere peole already complain the Danbury Branch is slow, lets add another 3 minutes for a useless stop.
NJT Montclair line anyone?

#479731  by DutchRailnut

NJT the disfunctional railroad they even call Bi-levels multi levels ???
:P :P :P :P
 #479859  by Noel Weaver

Tom Curtin wrote:The New Haven did indeed have a "Wall Street station," which was certainly a considerable misnomer since it was not at Wall Street --- it was near (and accessible only from) Commerce Street crossing. In what has to be one of the great ridiculous service decisions, it was served by one train per day --- not one in each direction, I said one per day!

That said, for God's sake save us from instituting any more stops!!! Merritt 7 was originally put in to serve workers at the corporate park there, now you have everything, 365 days a year, stopping there. The lest year or so there's been buzz of reinstituting Georgetown. Where will all this end? Will we see Cartherine Street, Winnipauk, Hopkins, Topstone? Oh yes, and East Danbury!!!
Train 353 which was the heaviest train on the branch used to stop at Wall
Street to let off school kids. I guess there was no scheduled train for
them to return on so they probably took a bus. The train did not stop
there during the summer months. This dates back to the 1950's at least.
Noel Weaver

#479937  by BERK44

Thank you Mr Weaver. I have often wondered about this station. There are two small well built brick buildings in this area. One of them is tilted. I was told that it happened from water rushing out of the tunnel during the 1955 flood.
 #480993  by Tom Curtin

Noel Weaver wrote: Train 353 which was the heaviest train on the branch used to stop at Wall
Street to let off school kids. I guess there was no scheduled train for
them to return on so they probably took a bus.
Well Noel, I finally have the answer to something that has mystified me since reading those 1950's TTs when I was a kid. I never would've guessed there was a school around Commerce St.

RE the comment about the 1955 flood --- yes the flood wreaked holy hell in Norwalk. And BTW, let me point out that this "flood" was the October 15-16 one, not Hurricane Diane. I have a photo of Pat McGinnis and a couple of other RR execs climbing around the damage just north of the Wall Street tunnel a couple of days later.

#481023  by BERK44

From what I can find there was a military school not far from there. There used to be a trolley that went down Wall St. than down East Ave where this school was.
 #481089  by nated40

Does anyone know where I can obtain old photos of the Wall/Commerce Street train station or any photo's of just Commerce Street?? I own two historical buildings at the Commerce Street crossing which were built in the mid-late 1800's. I've already tried the museum and town historian and no one seems to have any. If anyone has any please drop me a line. Thanks

#481252  by DutchRailnut

There are pictures in the book of L.Peter.Cornwall, in the shorelines shadow, I believe you can buy it at Danbury railway museum store.

#481304  by nated40

Thanks, Dutchrailnut!