Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#162199  by Amtrak31

I was out at Lockport last night waiting for the HC's. Luckily, I saw one of them. 118 on #17. While waiting for #19, an announcement was made saying that it was late due to Freight Train Interference. No freight came through at all. I made a point to stay maybe another 15 minutes...still nothing. I was losing my light, so I headed home. Just a little while ago, I heard that Amtrak 305 caught on fire in Lemont, the next stop from Lockport, around the time I left last night. The HC's run on the same track as the Southbound Amtrak's. I'm guessing that the fire held up the HC's...or maybe there was another problem?

#162218  by AmtrakFan

Nick,
Yes it did it happen about 5:30ish fuel was leaking out of the Fuel Tank into the Engine Room. Train began again again about 7 or 7:30.

#162223  by Amtrak31

Thanks, John. Now that I look back at it...it's kind of freaky considering I was pretty close to it.

#162601  by MetraF40C607

The intereference was at 21st Street. Tha Joliet Sub sees maybe 2-3 trains a day, which usually run during the later nightime hours. If you stayed for the frieght, well, then, there's not much I can say for you, because you'd be waiting a LONG time.

#162604  by Amtrak31

I didn't stay for the freight. I was at Joliet for 7 hours and saw 5 freight on the IC. Two UP Stack Trains, Two CN manifests, and a BNSF Manifest. Two UP Coal Trains also, but they only run on Track 4 from the EJ&E Yard to the Power Plant. I don't want to be streaming off topic here, so i'll stop.