Railroad Forums 

• Wabash - CB&Q Junction - SW Iowa

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#54201  by spalmer

Does anyone have any information about the CB&Q - Wabash (Later N&W)
junction in Southwest Iowa (near Clarinda, I think).

Things I'm curious about:

Was there an interlocking tower there at any time?

Did the Wabash subdivision have a name?

When did passenger service end?
 #245391  by St Joe Lines

The WABASH,later N&W and the CB&Q crossed each other at Shenandoah, Iowa not Clarinda. Shenandoah is 18 miles west of Clarinda.

Clarinda was an all CB&Q town. Mainline east-west and branchline north-south.

The WABASH line segments from Kelly Switch at Brunswick, Missouri to East Switch at Council Bluffs, Iowa were known as the 18th and 19th Districts of the Moberly Division. The 18th ran from Kelly Switch, Brunswick to Stanberry Missouri. The 19th ran from Stanberry to East Switch, Council Bluffs.

Passenger service under the WABASH consisted of train #211, the Omaha Limited and #214 St Louis Limited. Train #211 ended service to Omaha Union Station on June 30, 1960. It continued service to the UP transfer under the N&W until 1968.
 #245400  by St Joe Lines

Clarinda was the crossroads of two CB&Q branchlines. The Villisca Iowa to Bigelow Missouri line, north-south and the Humeston & Shenandoah RR, later CB&Q, east-west.
 #327278  by squints16

Please see my response to this post in the Archeology forum.

St. Joe is correct that the Wabash met a line of the C.B.&Q. (the Humeston & Shenandoah RR) in Shenandoah. In fact, I believe that the Humeston line was actually built jointly by the C.B.&Q. and the Wabash.

The Wabash's junction with the C.B. & Q.'s main line across Iowa was in Malvern, Iowa. Prior to 1904, there was a watchtower located at the junction in Malvern. However, in 1904, the Burlington built a new line about a quarter of a mile further north which crossed over the Wabash line. The Wabash was forced to build a connector line on the West side of Malvern to gain access to the C.B.&Q. line.