• VRE asks will riders return if they resume full schedule

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

SInce the pandemic began last year, VRE has been operating the "S" schedule plus trains #300 & #307.
There have been requests to return to full schedule and so VRE officials are considering it.
They have posted a survey question:
If VRE resumes full schedule, will riders return to trains?

https://www.vre.org/service/schedule-re ... A86apPmZCQ
  by STrRedWolf

They basically want to survey when it is a good time to start full service again. I think that will largely be dictated by when the Feds reopen offices and call everyone in.
  by Literalman

Some former passengers have told VRE in its monthly online chat that they can't start using VRE again even though they are going to work, because the service is too infrequent. When I last commuted on VRE (2017), the gap between the last two southbound Fredericksburg line trains was, I believe, 35 minutes. Now it's 80, and the gap between the last two northbound trains is 73 minutes. If you have fixed work hours, waiting an hour or more for the next commuter train can be a hardship. If enough people say they would ride VRE now if the service pattern were more usable, maybe the schedule will be expanded, even before the federal workforce returns to the offices.
  by scratchyX1

Literalman wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 pm Some former passengers have told VRE in its monthly online chat that they can't start using VRE again even though they are going to work, because the service is too infrequent. When I last commuted on VRE (2017), the gap between the last two southbound Fredericksburg line trains was, I believe, 35 minutes. Now it's 80, and the gap between the last two northbound trains is 73 minutes. If you have fixed work hours, waiting an hour or more for the next commuter train can be a hardship. If enough people say they would ride VRE now if the service pattern were more usable, maybe the schedule will be expanded, even before the federal workforce returns to the offices.
Much like with other agencies, VRE needs to shift from commuter rail to Regional rail, sooner than later. I'm going to guess that speeding up getting in new tracks for pot yard, so that shuttles can be run on the routes , with people transferring to metro to DC, as a work around until the new Long Bridge, really isn't viable?
  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 am Much like with other agencies, VRE needs to shift from commuter rail to Regional rail, sooner than later. I'm going to guess that speeding up getting in new tracks for pot yard, so that shuttles can be run on the routes , with people transferring to metro to DC, as a work around until the new Long Bridge, really isn't viable?
It depends on CSX and NS. You really can't do regional rail like in Philly unless you own the track.