Railroad Forums 

• Volkswagen/VW Micro Buses: Railroad Buses or 'Gandy Wagons'

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1560416  by VWBusUser

WOW! Thank you so much for that nugget of information, I truly cannot thank you enough, thank you, thank you. That really helps me in my search, you have no idea. Like you said, I've been able to find YouTube videos of them running on rails but never a true 'GandyWagon'.

Again, thank you - I am messaging you privately to thank you as well in the event you don't see my reply!
 #1560490  by VWBusUser

Thank you for the video, I've downloaded it in the past. That's the aforementioned sister model of it. The units for LIRR were both rail and road as a conversion vehicle/hi-rail unit. But same principle and idea and mechanics. Just a kit was sold separately to convert them.
 #1560531  by Backshophoss

They showed up on the Island long before there was a "market" for used Hi-Rail Vehicles,in most cases the Hi-Rail gear was removed when the vehicle was "retired" from the RR,Parent PRR would have insisted
on that back then. New Parent MTA would have sold it as scrap from government surplus auction back then.
 #1560556  by VWBusUser

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:32 am They showed up on the Island long before there was a "market" for used Hi-Rail Vehicles,in most cases the Hi-Rail gear was removed when the vehicle was "retired" from the RR,Parent PRR would have insisted
on that back then. New Parent MTA would have sold it as scrap from government surplus auction back then.
Thank you, yeah, that's what I have gathered so far. It's just a shame that they were destroyed in that junkyard!
 #1639179  by Bluepointgal

Brand new to this great website! Wanted to add some answers to this interesting discussion: My former husband owned an original Pennsy gandy wagon; it was pristine and wonderful! This was 1972; we lived in East Setauket, and I often drove it to what was then my job at Abraham and Straus, in Smith Haven Mall. You can bet I fielded lots and lots of questions, once I'd park it! It was in the original Pennsy paint scheme, even had the logo on the nose; It was not illegal to drive it (all its rail ability was intact.) My husband, Fred, and I would take it to abandoned rail lines in central Jersey; we had a blast with it. Some years later, we divorced (very amicably) and stayed in touch over the years. At one point, when we'd, ultimately, lost touch, I was able to decipher, by following an online thread, that this is what ultimately had become of it:
DAF101BB-6D4E-4136-96EA-753666C1E223_4_5005_c.jpeg
DAF101BB-6D4E-4136-96EA-753666C1E223_4_5005_c.jpeg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 189 times
The photo was taken out on eastern Long Island, in either the '90's or early 2000's. Sad what becomes of one's possessions as life progresses; I am so grateful to have been a part of the railfan community, through Fred's lifelong interest in trains. We also took an unbelievably beautiful, fall-foliage trip between Boston and Montpelier, on Engine 759, in the fall of 1973; a memory I truly treasure.
Attachments:
DAF101BB-6D4E-4136-96EA-753666C1E223_4_5005_c.jpeg
DAF101BB-6D4E-4136-96EA-753666C1E223_4_5005_c.jpeg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 189 times