• Visual differences between 2000 and 3000 series pre-rehab?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

Are there any visual differences between the 2000 and 3000 series cars prior to rehab that would be readily noticeable? I'm going through older photos of mine ID-ing trains and such for my new Transit Center site, and the only way I can tell the difference is when a car number is visible in the photo.
  by Sand Box John

There were no visible differences between any of the series of the Bredas. As I recall the numbering schema of the cars are based on the conditions in the original contract. The 2k cars were the original order in the contract, the 3 and 4k cars were the option part of the contract. The 4k cars were the cars that were built with DC chopper propulsion hardware. The 2 and 3k cars were built with DC cam control hardware.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

The 4000s have rounded front windows similar to the 6000s, but the bulkhead door on the 4000s still has a square window pane. The 3000s and 2000s all have squared window corners.

2023 at Fort Totten:

3271 at Glenmont:

4000 at Grosvenor:

2069 at Huntington:

3230 at Naylor Road:
  by Sand Box John

I Stand correct.

That shot of 2069 is rare. I don't recall ever seeing WMATA store cars in the tail tracks at Huntington.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

SchuminWeb wrote:So I'm going to say there's no way to visually distinguish 2000 and 3000-series cars. Thanks.

Otherwise, I've seen cars stored at Huntington in the tail tracks on a number of occasions.
The 2000 series cars have unit numbers that start with a 2. The 3000 series cars have unit numbers that start with a 3. :wink:

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Post rehab, they should all be identical anyway (and my previous statements still stand).
  by SchuminWeb

Yeah, 4000's don't have external speakers. I believe that the other two Breda series' external speakers were retrofits, though, no?

Otherwise, though, that lack of external speakers is why I find it highly amusing when a train operator commanding a train of all 4000-Series cars says, "Attention, customers on the platform," since the platform people can't hear their announcements.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

SchuminWeb wrote:Yeah, 4000's don't have external speakers. I believe that the other two Breda series' external speakers were retrofits, though, no?

Otherwise, though, that lack of external speakers is why I find it highly amusing when a train operator commanding a train of all 4000-Series cars says, "Attention, customers on the platform," since the platform people can't hear their announcements.
The 2000s and 3000s externals were retrofits. I don't think operators know if their train is all 4000s or not under most circumstances, let's be fair. The quality of announcement over the external speaker is pretty low to begin with in my opinion.
  by tommyboy6181

I thought it was pretty hillarious when I was in a 4k back in April and of course, the operator ends up saying "Attention customers on the platform...this is an 8 car train...please spread out along the platform and use all available doors..." That is a perfect way to tell apart the 2, 3, 4k series because none of the 4k as of now have speakers on the exterior (will have them retrofitted with their rehab). Other than that, like everyone else has said, 2/3k trains are visually identical while the 4k have rounded windows on the bulkheads except the door. The other major difference is that the 2k had cam controlled propulsion while the 3/4k use chopper controlled propulsion.

Sad thing is that in a few years, everything will be completely AC propulsion. No more of that Breda buzz...
  by SchuminWeb

Indeed. No more Breda buzz in a few years. The louder buzz of the 3000's is completely gone now, and with the "bellying" of the Rohr cars, it's become harder to hear the more subdued buzz of the 4000's due to the louder Rohr sounds, since it seems that, at least on the Red Line, every train has Rohrs in the middle. Very few solid consists of anything anymore.