• Virginia funded passenger trains to start this fall

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

In a few months, commuters who choose to ride the rails instead of driving their cars will have another option.

Virginia will use $17.2 million to fund a new weekday train service from Richmond and Lynchburg to Washington.

The Lynchburg train is scheduled to start in October; the Richmond line, Dec. 15.

(It is an Amtrak train that VRE riders can use with step-up tickets)

The new Richmond and Lynchburg trains are part of a three-year pilot project.

At the end of that time, the state will need a dedicated funding source to maintain the trains, Pickett said.

Last week, Virginia also requested at least $1.5 billion in federal stimulus money for track improvements between Washington and Petersburg.

State rail officials said their intention is to add a third rail line from Washington to Petersburg, which would be dedicated to providing high-speed passenger rail service at speeds of about 90 mph.

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/loca ... all/39624/
  by superbad

this sounds like phase I of the washington, DC to Bristol Rail corridor and if it is, its a big step. my cousin lives in bristol and I cant wait for that day to come, driving virginia is boring.
  by the-rail-life

I don't like driving through Virginia, either. Bottom line, I don't much like period.

I'm really curious to see how all this pans out. Gives everybody another option for rail transportation.