Maine Commuter Rail

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Cosmo

Re: Maine Commuter Rail

Post by Cosmo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 pm

riffian wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am
Note in photo caption - the bus is going directly to South station in Boston. It would appear that there is enough bus to train traffic to warrant this service.
Not really, that's just where the bus station is.
Has been for decades.
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones

kilroy

Post by kilroy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Reads more like a PR News Wire release than a newspaper article.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

FatNoah

Post by FatNoah » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:04 am

TBH, I'd expect a higher ridership discrepancy between the Downeaster and the bus. The bus has far more route miles, direct rides to Logan Airport and NYC, and 28 daily trips between Portland and Boston. If anything, this article highlights the popularity of the train, and that multiple transit modes are well supported.

FatNoah

Post by FatNoah » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

Also, here is a much better article about the ridership: https://www.pressherald.com/2019/11/04/ ... 0-years-2/

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:33 am

FatNoah wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:04 am
TBH, I'd expect a higher ridership discrepancy between the Downeaster and the bus. [...] If anything, this article highlights the popularity of the train, and that multiple transit modes are well supported.
My thoughts exactly, especially with regards to "multiple transit modes".
gokeefe

daybeers

Post by daybeers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am

NRGeep wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 am
A private bus company with public subsidies.
Not according to the article linked above:
The company receives no subsidies and its only partnership with Maine Department of Transportation is a publicly funded station off the Maine Turnpike in Auburn operated by the bus company.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm

The argument could be made that they receive an indirect subsidy in terms of traveling on public roads rather than a private company-owned right-of-way; I'm not sure if that's what NRGeep was referring to, but that's one way of looking at it. The reverse argument would be that the bus company pays back that indirect subsidy by doing us all the favor of taking cars off the roads.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I would agree that they are not "subsidized" in the sense of cash assistance. That is of course not the case in New Hampshire where Concord Coach operates quite a few bus lines that receive cash assistance from NHDOT.

In Maine Concord Coach is one beneficiary of what is probably best described as a very successful "3P" or "public private partnership". The State benefits through provision of bus service that provides very high quality transit and supports others modes (air and rail). Concord Coach benefits through proximity to state supported facilities (parking lot) and state supported modes (air and rail).

Although there is a strong case to be made that they are indirectly subsidized I think any argument of such has to acknowledge to likelihood that their operations reduce the costs of certain tax payer supported services. This challenges the concept of "subsidy" even on an indirect basis and is why I think "partnership" is truly the most appropriate description.
gokeefe

NRGeep

Post by NRGeep » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 am

All good points. Not implying anything "off the books" yet it seems possible that Concord Coach could be more amenable to private/public partnerships etc in Maine due to receiving generous subsidies in New Hampshire.

Return to “New England Railfan”