Amazon Uses Rail

For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman

Amazon Uses Rail

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Likely Amazon has been a long time rail shipper, but now they have become visible.

This past Tuesday, I observed an Eastbound train, railroad or predecessor (take your pick: B&O, ERIE, PRR), I know not, near Ravenna, OH X-ing under I-76. In what of the consist I could safely view, there was a Baby Blue trailer and smiling for the world to see.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Perkowski

Re: Amazon Uses Rail

Post by John_Perkowski » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:26 pm

It once was the New York, Chicago, and St Louis RR.

Amazing, thing, the historical topographic map feature on the usgs.gov website.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Jeff Smith & Greg Primrose now own railroad.net!

Gilbert B Norman

Re: Amazon Uses Rail

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:01 am

Colonel, the NYC&STL or Nickel Plate, did NOT serve Ravenna, OH. My predecessor references were drawn from a '64 Guide. I did not observe the motive power (and wasn't about to jump off the 76 and go train chasing), but after a review of the USGS map you note, it appears to be a former PRR Cleveland-Pittsburgh (route of The Clevelander) line, or NS today.

Return to “General Class I and II Discussion”