Railroad Forums 

• Does anyone miss the Burlington Commuter E9s?

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.

Should they bring the E9s back?

Yes
86%
No
14%
 #6598  by BN7151

MR77100:
MR77100 wrote:Watching the rush hours was alot of fun, and I do recall seeing as many as 3 units lashed up together.
I've never heard of E9s triple headed on commuter trains. Does anyone have photo evidence of this?
 #6696  by sjlevine34

Nashville and Eastern's 9925 was undergoing a refurbishing when I last saw it 2 years ago, with placement of ditch lights, etc.

Two of the N&E RR's E's can be seen, nose first, coupled elephant style, from the westbound to northbound ramp of the I-40/I-24 junction in Nashville. They have been stored there for awhile.

Unfortunately, the area is in a very rough part of town.

sjl

#6782  by bones

I have no pictures, but I did also see triple-headers.

Generally the triple-header was seen on Sunday, also known as "The Sunday Special". Over the weekend they would send a handfull of E's to the Zephyr Pit for service, and on Sunday afternoon about 4PM they would triple-head them back to Aurora.

#6893  by BN7151

Would be nice to see that today with Metra. I have seen BN Es running with the train to Galesburg, triple headed, but that's the only time I've ever heard of that happening.

Maybe they'll bring the Es "back for a day" someday. You never know!

#8722  by Engineer Spike

I worked as a passenger brakeman in Aurora. Some of the engineers used to say that they liked th E9 better.

#8740  by BN7151

I can say with confidence that I prefer an E9 over a F40 any day.

#11110  by RiverMP21

The Susie-Q is selling its two ex-BN E9s - I forgot the website, but the information is online somewhere...
 #15209  by MetraBNSF

The quality of this picture isn't very good, but this is one of the pictures I've found of BN E9s and Metra F40PHM-2s at Hill Yard in Aurora.

http://www.byrnes.org/railfan/transit/trans28.jpg

Here's another picture of a BN E9 ready to overtake a Metra F40PH at Harlem Ave. in Berwyn.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/390 ... 3566jIPOEy

#43945  by AmtrakFan

I miss them because I was too Young to Remember them when they were Retired I was about 2 or 2.5 I miss them I wish they were still in service my Dad rode the Final run of them into Chicago.

AmtrakFan

#44244  by arnstg

Two of the listed E Units are at the IRM in Union, Il.

9911A - This E5A is the only one left in existence. It was the Silver Pilot
on the original Denver Zephyr. A beauty to behold!

9919 - This became the BN-3 as part of the BN executive train. It was generously donated to IRM, as I recall, along with the following:

BN-1 F9 Ex NP 6700A, BN 766

BN-2 F9B Ex NP 7002C, BN 809

BN-3 E9U Ex 9919, CB&Q 9989A

Don't remember the reason for retirement but, but as I recall, they felt that it was underpowered. They are done in colors similar to the original SD70MAC's .

#46249  by c604.

Its kinda neat, the BN-3 is still 9919 on the inside. It looks the same, sounds the same, and even still has its markings for 9919 in the cab and engine room. Most importantly, it still performs with the performance of an athlete doing a 100M dash :-)

#65996  by Yonge

BN7151 wrote:I believe 9909 and 9911 were the only two that did not survive the retirements. (A friend had told me he knew that 9905 was running somewhere.) Oh well, we have 24 of the original 26, that's good to know.
Both 9905 and 9911 went to MARC, with 9905 becoming MARC 65 and 9911 becoming MARC 69. Both may have been scrapped after MARC retired them in 1994 or 1995.

There wasn’t a 9909. There were 9 Es rebuilt from E8s numbered 9900-9908, and there were 16 rebuilt from E9s numbered 9910-9925.

#83001  by Scotty Burkhardt

i was told by my uncle that MARC has their ex BN units stored.

#92592  by Hambone

I grew up in Downers Grove in the 80s, spent much time hanging out at Belmont. Have many photos, even some casette recordings of em'. I'll never forget that unturbocharged rumble as they started up. BN always kept em' in good condition, shiny paint. Very sorry to see them go. The funny thing is, they could have been rebuilt again for less money than new power...

#92851  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I would like them to, but odd are they are not.