Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#852096  by northjerseybuff

I am curious to know..what are the track speeds from Binghamton to port jervis? I see NYSW is dropping ties and doing work..have they indeed raised speeds?
Metro North east of PJ has def increased speeds and track conditions!
 #852172  by SecaucusJunction

Didn't that person on the Susquehanna yahoo group say speeds would be 40mph, as per the lease agreement when this was said and done?

Speeds east of Port Jervis are higher than ever. For most of my life, chasing And catching trains on Rt 17 was no problem. Recently when I tried to chase an H07, it was nearly impossible.
 #852614  by cjvrr

SecaucusJunction wrote:Speeds east of Port Jervis are higher than ever. For most of my life, chasing And catching trains on Rt 17 was no problem. .....
You must not have chased any of the 614 trips.....talk about speed, there was no way to chase those trips, you had to chose a spot and wait....I have heard some stories about how fast some of those trips ran; but I will leave that for someone else to post....

The person on the Yahoo Groups that posted the info on the eventual speeds between Binghamton and Port Jervis works for the NYS&W. The NS lease stated 40mph. I don't think they are to that point yet, but with the current track work they may be getting close.

Remember too, originally the signal system in that segment was to be abandoned but it has actually been upgraded. Not sure if that gives the NYS&W a credit against other work, but there was some substantial costs involved with the new system and removal of the old code line.
 #852768  by century430

That's no small investment! I guess I'm confused though, who controls the signals? I thought that was still NS's job since the controlled sidings and all are part of their computer system. Am I mistaken on this thought?
 #852770  by SecaucusJunction

NS obviously gave the NYSW a laundry list of things they wanted done with the line before they grabbed it back. Either NS is kicking in money for this now or they are working largely off of state and federal grants. I think NS would have to give them a fee for the work anyway when they grab the line back, but like I said, a lot of the cash is probably coming from the Government.

The NYSW is, and has always been, a pawn that NS is using to save themselves a good deal of time and money...
 #852883  by century430

Pawn or not, I hope NYSW is getting something out of this. I wish they'd be ablet o get more traffic routed their way. maybe something will one day with all of this Southern Tier traffic coming.

Jim Rowland
 #852945  by Matt Langworthy

NS is a partial owner of NYSW, so there are probably financial benefits (i.e. tax write-offs) for having NYSW do the MOW work. If NS does indeed start routing traffic on the eastern end of the Erie (and I hope they do) it would likely be overhead traffic. I figure they'll let NYSW keep the local traffic, just as they let WNYP keep the local traffic between Meadville and Hornell.
 #853331  by SecaucusJunction

Matt Langworthy wrote:NS is a partial owner of NYSW, so there are probably financial benefits (i.e. tax write-offs) for having NYSW do the MOW work. If NS does indeed start routing traffic on the eastern end of the Erie (and I hope they do) it would likely be overhead traffic. I figure they'll let NYSW keep the local traffic, just as they let WNYP keep the local traffic between Meadville and Hornell.

The eastern half of the Southern Tier, long noted for very little online traffic, is about to become somewhat of a gold mine. NS knows it and I can't see them sitting back and letting the profits go to another railroad.

I guess it will come down whether or not the taxes on the line would be higher than the profits generated. In all honesty, I think it's coming back.

(just an opinion)
 #857907  by century430

Norfolk Southern's upgrades have been well-documented west of Binghamton. What hasn't been well talked about are NYSW/CNYK's efforts east of Binghamton. It has been reported that ties have been furiously changed out, new signals, removing trackside pole lines, some ballast, etc. What has not appeared is proof of this work in picture format.

What work has actually transpired? Has anyone posted any photos of the upgrades on that side of the Erie? What all is planned for upgrades on that part of the Tier?

Jim Rowland
 #857924  by SteelRail

I can confirm that along Court Street in Binghamton, the wires are cut and hanging from the poles. The farthest I travel east is Frito Lay, but I see no evidence of signals between there and Malfunction Junction.
 #858025  by chief

Well i have been sending info about the tier east of deposit on yahoo group.so i will fill in the blanks.
The NYS&W has been replacing ties for the last 5 weeks between CP-Sparrow and CP-Sanford. 40 car loads of ties were put in between CP-Sparrow and Calliacon. New signals installed at CP-Shohola and CP-Parkers.All signals are being up-graded to computer operated and all overhead wires are being removed. crossing at BQ is going to be rebuilt. New rail for crossing is at MP-110. New switch ties being installed at BQ. BEWARE THERE ARE CAMERAS IN THE NEW SIGNALS AT CP-Shohola and CP-Parkers. You can find info as it happens at susquehanna@yahoogroups
Steve a-k-a Chief