Railroad Forums 

• "Extreme Trains" hosted by Matt Bown

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#631769  by CannaScrews

Mattydred wrote:
Anyway I just wanted to tell each and everyone of you thanks for watching and here's to hoping for a season 2. May be I'll see some of you trackside!
I think you did a great job Matt.

Everyone's a damn critic. Like they could have done any better. I'm hoping this won't be the last of Extreme Trains for the History Channel. Aah, railfanning is great once you set aside the smelly dorks and detail freaks that give Star Wars fans a run for their money.

Right ON BRO!

The show is geared to the GENERAL PUBLIC and American Idol set, you gotta have action, jump cuts, vibrating cameras - just like COPS and the latest Hollywood stuff.

Who, in his [90% or more XY chromosome types are railfans, even though some XX's are present] mind will think this show is for railfans?
For one thing, they don't spend any dinero except for scanners, film [OK SD Cards] and greasy food.

Take it as it is. Seeing Steve Lee on 844 is good enough for me.

I guess ABO Canyon landed up on the cutting room floor - too bad.

The proof of the pudding is seeing Matt at work. But that, I think would not be too interesting as far as the entertainment industry is concerned.

There are many FOAMERS who are quite competent/exceptional who work for the railroads and are in the closet since RR management frowns upon enthusiasm and love of the job.

Good to see any positive railroad coverage. My kudos to the History Channel.
 #632157  by gprimr1

That was a case of not thinking about what I was saying. I wasn't trying to say he was fake in that he doesn't care about trains, I know he obviously does.

I just didn't think that the people who run those trains do it everyday so it's nothing to them, and I misconstrued that disparity.

I do apologize to Mr. Bown and everyone here that comment. :(

And I do watch the TIVO the show. I hope they do Hoosaic Tunnel.
 #632868  by Otto Vondrak

moosespider21 wrote:Hey guys!
It seems that most of you have enjoyed the series which is great! The arm motion thing bothers me a little too when I watch it, BUT..... that's what comes natural so I don't know if I can fix it :) I noticed someone commented on rules violations at BNSF but if I remember right they don't enforce safety glasses in the cab. As long as the windows are closed. I may be wrong. As far as the handbrake violation I may need to be retrained.... I mean c-mon!!! I've been putting handbrakes on for almost 13 year so that kind of cracked me up! o my back..... No CSXConductor it's all good my friend. I attacked that handbrake because they finally let me do something I was familiar with. (your probably right!)
A lot of the editing is what it is. Different locos on different trains or that number doesn't match up with that number. If you're a rail fan it surley stands out, beleave me I know. Thank the stars I mentioned the correct track guage in the Transcon episode. Phew!
Anyway I just wanted to tell each and everyone of you thanks for watching and here's to hoping for a season 2. May be I'll see some of you trackside!
Matt
Matt- Welcome aboard and thanks for visiting our thread.

See also... http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 22&t=56275
 #632871  by Otto Vondrak

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:What I would really have like to see was what the crew has to put up with when they do MSG. that must be a headach.
Why would tying up in Long Island be any more headache than anywhere else?
nessman wrote:For starters you have that pesky 3rd rail that'll kill you if you step on it. Penn Station is a very busy, very complex place.
Pfff, no wayyyy... First of all, Penn Station only has 13 tracks. BORING!! And... it's also not on Long Island. ;-) Plenty of third rail to trip over on Long Island, too... but I guess we figured out whatever we were talking about already.
 #634938  by 2nd trick op

I find myself agreeing with Mr Allegheny; the show glosses over just about everything, but it does demonstrate that the public no longer views the rail industry as an anachronism, which was the case just about everywhere when I was growing up in the 1960's.

It's difficult to gauge (appropriate metaphor :-) ) exactly how much the public's respect for and understanding of the rail industry has recovered, but one measure I can cite might throw some light on is this. I was "under-employed" last summer and filled things out at a local amusement park where, because of my background, someone assigned me to running the "Cedar Creek Cannonball". When a guest made comments about the rail industry, references to its long malaise 1945-1985, and often-decrepit property seldom came up any more, and if I pointed out the rewards of becoming a real operating railroader to a young person, the reaction was almost always positive.

The public's attention to any societal and/or economic trend naturally ebbs and flows, and those of us who are, or have been exposed to the disparities between Hollywood and Barstow have a role to fill. We can put our best foot forward without stomping on the dream.
 #663864  by Engineer Spike

I am watching a re-run of the show. While the commercials were on there was an ad for the show "Ax Men". The lumberjack comments in the ad, "I like the power of a two stroke in my hands." SO DO I! I love a lash-up of about 4 SD40-2s.
 #664376  by Jtgshu

The show seems to be running alot on History International - there was a mini marathon the other day, and the little ad on the bottom was running nearly constantly while I was watching "Life after People" (which actually had a bit on the Kinzua Viaduct collapse which was a nice surprise)
 #671531  by kaitoku

The producers knew they needed a eye-catching title and an excitable fellow to host because, honestly, most programs about trains are sleep inducing. So many times I have excitedly ordered a railroad DVD, and after about ten minutes of watching, I'm dancing with Mr. Sandman. Watching trains from the couch is so relaaaaaaaaxxxxxing... :wink:
 #681245  by RedLantern

After searching deep into the History Channel website, I found that they did in fact cancel the show, I guess it's ratings were too low.

I'm not too surprised to see it go. For a show on the History channel, they didn't get that far into history, the show may have faired better if it were in the kids programming, but being on at 10pm, adults tend to want more than an over-excited guy repeating the same things over and over with tons of unnecessary video effects that actually take away from the quality of the show.

I've met a lot of railfans in my life, and none of them have been as overly excited at every second as Matt Brown was, and he was an actual railroad employee, so it was obvious that the show's producers were trying to make him act far more excited than he should've been. If someone spends the majority of their day every day inside a locomotive cab, I doubt they'd be as giddy as a schoolgirl to get a chance to do something they already do for a living.
 #682318  by Ken W2KB

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Were all the episodes that were produced aired, or is there still material out there that has not been released?
Amazon has listed the DVD "Extreme Trains: The Complete Season One" as being released on June 30th, with 2 DVD set totaling 375 minutes. Unfortunately, the ad does not list the episodes.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Trains-Co ... 525&sr=1-1
 #682894  by PUTNUT

I can't agree with RedLantern more! I often thought of how annoying Matt Brown was with his WOW and GOLLY GEE attitude, and loud too. He reminded me of Billy May
of Oxyclean fame.
 #683056  by Holtz

There are eight episodes:
1 - Coal Train
2 - Freight Train
3 - High Speed Train
4 - Ice Cold Express
5 - Steam Train
6 - Overnight Traveler
7 - Circus Train
8 - Transcontinental
 #687882  by scotty269

Holtz wrote:There are eight episodes:
1 - Coal Train
2 - Freight Train
3 - High Speed Train
4 - Ice Cold Express
5 - Steam Train
6 - Overnight Traveler
7 - Circus Train
8 - Transcontinental
375 mins divided by 8 episodes is about 46 mins and some change. So, only those 8 episodes will be on the DVD. Nothing more, apparently.