Railroad Forums 

• What is your Favorite BN locomotive?

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #603630  by 8nick

f units bn1 and bn2 were definately the most beutifull engines in the fleet but of course they were donated to a museum in chicago(i think)..story has it that ceo krebs (former santa fe)was on train and it ran out of fuel,so he had a hissy fit and got rid of them...santa fe logic i guess...
 #639868  by espeefoamer

Favorite BN locos: Commuter E9s, F units,RS3s,F45s.
Favorite BN locos I never saw:FAs,ALCo Centuries,FTs.(BN had one A-B set of ex NP FTs that ran for a couple of weeks after the BN takeover.)
 #640183  by CarterB

Well if we're talking post Hill lines merger Burlington Northern, then the E-9s but the CB&Q stainless E-5As are hard to beat for looks!! So were the Great Northern Y-1a and W-1 electrics.
 #676144  by BN2513GP35

#736717  by bwallace

This one is no contest although I think the BN Cascade Green looked good on anything on the roster the hands down winner has to be the Chicago Commuter E units. BN did not even own them at the time after they were rebuilt and owned by Metra but insisted that if they ran on BN trackage they had to be in BN Colors. 2nd the SD-9's, 3rd the U-Boats for a reminder check out the Pictures of U-36C #5383 at the Illinois Railway Museum which has been beautifully restored.