Railroad Forums 

• FEC E-8 & FL-9 musings.....

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#552051  by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:Anything new with our wayward FL9? Noel, I think they need a New Haven man to show them how it's done.

-otto-
They have some really good people in that shop, I think the engine is probably finished. Most likely they are waiting for a
decision from the owner as to what happens next with that locomotive. Last report was that it was still sitting outside the
shop at New Smyrna Beach.
Noel Weaver
 #564348  by tech2187

nice find. at least they took care of it, the condition it was in last summer wasnt too hot.
 #564469  by rrfoose

wok3002 wrote:Here is a pic I found of the wayward New Englander sitting in the yard. Not sure how I feel about that paint. Sort of reminds me of a bad BN scheme. Its a shame she didn't get some sort of FEC heritage treatment. Blue and yellow would have looked snazzy.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1238090

Kevin
Interesting find Kevin! But maybe I'm missing something here...why are the reporting marks FLNX? If FEC bought it, why not their marks? Or even now that it's RA-owned, another RA road? That's not even a RA or FEC related scheme! Are they planning on leasing it out for other operations?
 #564482  by Noel Weaver

rrfoose wrote:
wok3002 wrote:Here is a pic I found of the wayward New Englander sitting in the yard. Not sure how I feel about that paint. Sort of reminds me of a bad BN scheme. Its a shame she didn't get some sort of FEC heritage treatment. Blue and yellow would have looked snazzy.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1238090

Kevin
Interesting find Kevin! But maybe I'm missing something here...why are the reporting marks FLNX? If FEC bought it, why not their marks? Or even now that it's RA-owned, another RA road? That's not even a RA or FEC related scheme! Are they planning on leasing it out for other operations?
The Florida East Coast does NOT own this engine. It is owned by an individual from out of state who contracted with the
Florida East Coast to do a repair and restoration at the New Symrna Beach Shop. The last I heard the engine is just
sitting there awaiting further orders.
I think they did a great job on the paint. I don't know whether they did the necessary work to allow this engine to operate
as a lead unit on the FEC or not. Cab air conditioning, cab signals and automatic train control are a must on the FEC.
Noel Weaver
 #568197  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:Here is another picture of ex Amtrak 484 at FEC shop.
Nice restoration job.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 912&nseq=9
New Symrna Beach is not a huge facility but it is more than adequate for the FEC's needs and they do really good work there.
The engines on the Florida East Coast are rather old as engines go except for the 4 new ones with 4 more on the way.
The SD-40-2's and GP-40 and 40-2's are capable of moving good size trains at speeds of 60 MPH over their lines with
relatively few problems. Engines that were considered worn out or obselete by many other railroads are still running up and
down the east coast of Florida on hot van and merchandise trains.
"Dutch", that is one of the best shots that I have seen yet of this locomotive, thanks for posting it. Sure is a great looking
engine when it has something other than NH and circus colors all over it.
Noel Weaver
 #661045  by Otto Vondrak

FL9AC wrote:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 02&nseq=79

Found this picture browsing through the newest pictures section...looks like the FL-9 is heading back home :wink: . Glad to see it's still looking good!
Where's home?
 #661178  by Noel Weaver

The only thing I know is that the FEC moved the FL-9 from NSB to Bowden Yard a few days ago. What happens from there is
still unknown at least to me.
Noel Weaver