Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#545575  by Murjax

lirr415 wrote:
Murjax wrote:There are a group of vandalized cafe cars which have the words "Yum Yum Car" underneath the sign that says "Food Service Car". I don't know how many there are, but I saw 2 of them within the course of a week last month and I know it wasn't the same car, because the car number was different from the first one. It's a fun catch for railfans, but one must wonder how someone could manage to get into one of Amtrak's yards and get away with all of that.

Amybe they did it while a train was in a terminal or on the Twilight Shoreliner during one of its long station stops :-D .

lirr415-Peter
Wouldn't they get caught that way? People on the inside and outside of the train would probably see what's going on. In a yard though, someone might possibly be able to get in there in the middle of the night when no one's around. The question is how were they able to get in there for such a long time without being seen by somebody (like a pedestrian or someone who lives near the yard).

P.S. I think we might need a seperate thread for this particular subject which I'll start later.
 #545648  by SimplySam

[quote="

P.S. I think we might need a seperate thread for this particular subject which I'll start later.[/quote]

Do you mean a thread for vandalized Amtrak rolling stock & property? I must say I have seen very few graffiti covered cars in operation, at least compared to any freight consist.

Partly I would assume this is due to Amtrak not leaving their cars sitting on isolated sidings for days/weeks/months at a time as freight cars can...also I would assume Amtrak has strict standards about not operating a car that has "F--- you" or whatever written on it.
 #546939  by Steve F45

Murjax wrote:There are a group of vandalized cafe cars which have the words "Yum Yum Car" underneath the sign that says "Food Service Car". I don't know how many there are, but I saw 2 of them within the course of a week last month and I know it wasn't the same car, because the car number was different from the first one. It's a fun catch for railfans, but one must wonder how someone could manage to get into one of Amtrak's yards and get away with all of that.

I saw one of those Yum-Yum cars back in May of 2007 while in D.C waiting for the power switch on teh silver star.
 #549444  by Tadman

Six VRE (former Metra/CNW) carbon sided gallery cars, headed back to Chicago, on 49(24) at 11am EDT in South Bend.

edit: on 29(24), not 49. Why is it the two trains going past my office are both X9 and Y0? I can never keep them straight.
 #550492  by Matt Johnson

Jers2709 wrote:Great catch!
Thanks! Don't mind my friend's comments in the background. :)

I didn't see any mention of it here, but apparently Amtrak ran a test train out to Las Vegas.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 751&nseq=3

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 623&nseq=6

What kind of shape is that route in? Could it support 79 mph as is?
 #550497  by hi55us

cool pics I would love for Amtrak to bring back some more dome cars on the east coast. I do realize that they could not bring them north of Washington.
 #550864  by Chessie GM50

Matt Johnson wrote:
Jers2709 wrote:Great catch!
Thanks! Don't mind my friend's comments in the background. :)

I didn't see any mention of it here, but apparently Amtrak ran a test train out to Las Vegas.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 751&nseq=3

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 623&nseq=6

What kind of shape is that route in? Could it support 79 mph as is?
I'd personally assume that the part with concrete ties could go a bit faster. The other picture may need a bit of work to get up to class 4.
 #551117  by John_Perkowski

Looks to me like a horizon coach, a horizon cafe-lounge/business class coach, Amtrak's dome, and one of BNSF's domes.

My suspicion is inspection train, but to what purpose? Dunno.

I've given my opnion about what Amtrak and UP would have to do to make LA-LV economically viable to Amtrak. If gas is up to stay, LV needs to think out of the box to get people to come!
 #551282  by captdpl

Last week while passing through south station, i noticed an amtrak train (what I assumed to be the lake shore limited) with a cab car on the end of the consist. Is this a new thing to Boston? I know they have them elsewhere. I was just curious. Compared to the MBCR cab cars, the control station looked quite comfortable!