Railroad Forums 

• About the recent forum changes

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#544903  by UPRR engineer

WOW that warning system works pretty slick. Let me know how that innaproiprate post button ends up working.

Theres a Mod Log too where ya can see who's been doing some work. Pretty neat stuff on here.
 #545004  by David Benton

the moderator control panel is brillant .cheers .
My only other comment , the view new posts page , i find it hard to see which forum the post is in . its there if you look , but i preferred the old way where the forum was bold , so you could see at a glance if there were new posts in a particular forum .
 #546363  by rrfoose

I liked on the old boards, that every time I got on here, I could see which forums had new messages and which didn't, based on the orange icons, and then within the forums were the individual messages highlighted by the orange icons. This let me know what to look at and what I already had. On the new boards here, there is still the highlighting effect - but any board with a new post in the last week is highlighted..not just since my last log in. Hopefully that description wasn't too confusing..but if you get what I'm saying, is there a way to change this? I don't want to have to look at every forum just to see if there are new messages or not since the last time I was on.
 #546407  by Ricky Smith

I still cant stand the new layout with it on the right as opposed to left and the new icon things, makes it a pain to just drop in and view what topics have activity. I've stopped viewing as much "shrug"
 #546522  by Raritan Express

rrfoose wrote:I liked on the old boards, that every time I got on here, I could see which forums had new messages and which didn't, based on the orange icons, and then within the forums were the individual messages highlighted by the orange icons. This let me know what to look at and what I already had. On the new boards here, there is still the highlighting effect - but any board with a new post in the last week is highlighted..not just since my last log in. Hopefully that description wasn't too confusing..but if you get what I'm saying, is there a way to change this? I don't want to have to look at every forum just to see if there are new messages or not since the last time I was on.
It's a similar issue I have with t henew boards. ON the old system, whenever I logged out, the board would reset thenew messages alert. Here, if I don't read it, it stays as a "new" messages even if I log out.
 #546527  by ricebrianrice

I still cant stand the new layout with it on the right as opposed to left and the new icon things, makes it a pain to just drop in and view what topics have activity. I've stopped viewing as much "shrug"
I have to agree with these gentleman. I have stopped viewing as much, as it is too hard to determine what is "new" since my last visit. I hope our brilliant leaders can help fix some of these "improvements".

I don't like it, I don;t like it at all!!!

Brian
 #547104  by UPRR engineer

To fix that problem all you have to do is click on the "mark all forums read" (or something like that) at the top of the Main Forum Index before logging out.
 #547131  by rrfoose

UPRR engineer wrote:To fix that problem all you have to do is click on the "mark all forums read" (or something like that) at the top of the Main Forum Index before logging out.
What if you stay logged in all the time?

I'm just asking to be able to have my cake and eat it too - I don't think that's too much to ask for :-D
 #547138  by UPRR engineer

You could still click on the Mark all Forums Read even if your staying on. I dont see the problem, theres a ton of forums i dont visit, it works for me. I like the way its set up, in the past (when getting kicked off) i'd have to look at the dates to see what was new if i didnt get to read all the new posts since my last visit. The good out ways the bad i think.
 #547168  by rrfoose

UPRR engineer wrote:You could still click on the Mark all Forums Read even if your staying on. I dont see the problem, theres a ton of forums i dont visit, it works for me. I like the way its set up, in the past (when getting kicked off) i'd have to look at the dates to see what was new if i didnt get to read all the new posts since my last visit. The good out ways the bad i think.
I tried it and it works! Amazing - never knew that was there. Problem solved - thanks!
 #547222  by Pj

Its really not the board software per say, but the style sheet. This one is the default phpBB (newer) sheet. What we need back is the SubSilver sheet. But, not all of them are plug/play. Someone needs to mod it a little to fit all the tags and styles here.

As soon as an admin can, I am sure you will see it back as a choice. Its one of the common phpBB oversites that admin's make when doing a software upgrade.

To see many that are available, or how much one of these boards can be, go over to www.phpbb.com
 #547601  by Chessie GM50

Two err, "suggestions"
Well, I like that you guys migrated to a faster server, and I like the subcatagories (e.g. Board Index< Talk about RAILROAD.NET< ....., )

But I think for people that may not have too good of eyesight (I am not one) that it would be nice for a high-contrast option,
And I hate the lack of HTML support, I can't figure out how in the world to resize images with an [img] tag.