Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#543082  by The Metropolitan

Yesterday's S/B Crescent from New York, 19(6), was carrying a Horizon Dinette in place of the Amfleet Lounge car. Heritage Diner was in its rightful place. Witnessed the train heading s/b out of Baltimore yesterday evening.
 #543209  by F40

There was a lone, purple MBTA coach by some of the Amtrak's orange rail equipment (are those tie replacement vehicles?) by PATH's Yard in Harrison, NJ. Some NJT equipment is stored here as well, along the NEC just east of Newark Penn Station.

Any idea of what it was doing in NJ?
 #543223  by DutchRailnut

Those are MBTA cars returning from rebuild at Deleware Car company. most of those cars went to Delaware on JTTX flatcars due to body damage.
they return on their own wheels.
 #543356  by jp1822

Thank goodness they have not put the overhauled Amfleet II diner lite (former cafe/lounge) on any of the other eastern long distance trains that operate daily, except the Lake Shore Limited. Interesting that the Horizon Dinettes have made there way back East. Likely it was part of the Lake Shore Limited's poole and may have been swapped out for a trip to Beech Grove.

How many of these Horizon dinettes are around? I would think they are somewhat limited considering they form the backbone of the Midwest Amtrak car fleet.
 #543541  by Tadman

We had a discussion about this somewhere about 1-2 weeks ago, but I think the conclusion was five.
 #543701  by Gare_NY

I suppose this is a good a place as any, though I'll also be posting something similar in the appropriate forum later, but:

Last night, whilst waiting for a very late westbound LSL (it was about 1.5 hours late), I sat in the van with my wife, who had driven me there. At one point, she looked past me, out the window, and asked "Wait.. isn't that your train right there?"

I looked over and saw a string of passenger cars, but they weren't Amfleets. Everything was all wrong - the color, the shape, etc.

I said "..the hell?" and hopped out of the van to have a better look. Attached to a westbound freight train were 4 or 5 cars from the Metro North, with a round, blue Connecticut logo on them. I didn't have time to jot down car numbers and such, though I did take note of the names: the three that were closest to me were the "Govener El Grasso" (I think), the "Noah Webster", and the "Bethel". The were stainless with a thick red stripe running down their length. (Again, it was dark at this end of the platform, so I could have many of these details wrong.) They were all dark and were obviously being pulled somewhere, but it instantly struck me - Where? What the heck were 5 Metro cars doing in Buffalo-Depew, so far from home?

I tried to get some quick pictures of them, but they were out on the third track, and I wasn't about to cross the ROW to get closer, especially in an area with so much freight traffic. After a few minutes, I began hearing the tell-tale banging from down the line as they started to roll and took up the slack in the consist, and off they went into the night.

I returned to my vehicle to find my wife, looking relieved.

"I saw the train start to move and I got worried!" she said.

"Why?"

"Well.. I could just picture you, climbing aboard to get a better look and not able to get off." She knows of my goofy other hobby, Urban Exploration.

"Hun, I'm certainly not going to cross a right of way, and especially never to board a train I don't belong on! That's nuts."

She nodded quietly and then said "Right.. that's why I was worried."

And then I gave her a soft punch on the arm.

Anyway - I'm sure somebody here knows what's up with this? They seemed completely intact, were rolling on their own wheels, not in need of any cosmetic repair that I could see... so.. where were they going, and why?

Thanks,

Gare_NY
 #543705  by DutchRailnut

The 5 ConnDOT Bombardier shoreliners are on their way to Bombardier in Dansville New York.
They will get a full life extension rebuilt making them fit for another 18 years.
The cars are made out of brushed alluminium, not stainlesss steel.

Numbers of these cars are :
Gov. Ella Grasso = 6252
Noah Webster =6255
Bethel = 6256
 #543739  by Gare_NY

Well.. that makes enough sense, except - Dansville is to the east of Depew.. and the tain in question was rolling west. So..?

Gare_NY
 #543766  by DutchRailnut

With CSX you never know where your cars or engines end up, probably heading for yard in Buffalo to be send back towards rochester on a local.
 #543811  by Tadman

For a great example of this, recall the story of the new NJT power that made its way to Selkirk, only to wind up in Minneapolis from Selkirk. Most home gamers will realize Minneapolis is not on the NJT system, not even the ACL...
 #544772  by Matt Johnson

The Metropolitan wrote:Yesterday's S/B Crescent from New York, 19(6), was carrying a Horizon Dinette in place of the Amfleet Lounge car. Heritage Diner was in its rightful place. Witnessed the train heading s/b out of Baltimore yesterday evening.
Got a video of that train at Princeton Junction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnrQ5cW7A8
 #545192  by railaw

Springfield shuttle was a 3-car train this morning (around 11am). Does anyone know if this was an equipment move or a demand issue?
 #545324  by Jers2709

Matt Johnson wrote:
The Metropolitan wrote:Yesterday's S/B Crescent from New York, 19(6), was carrying a Horizon Dinette in place of the Amfleet Lounge car. Heritage Diner was in its rightful place. Witnessed the train heading s/b out of Baltimore yesterday evening.
Got a video of that train at Princeton Junction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnrQ5cW7A8
Great catch!
 #545472  by Murjax

There are a group of vandalized cafe cars which have the words "Yum Yum Car" underneath the sign that says "Food Service Car". I don't know how many there are, but I saw 2 of them within the course of a week last month and I know it wasn't the same car, because the car number was different from the first one. It's a fun catch for railfans, but one must wonder how someone could manage to get into one of Amtrak's yards and get away with all of that.
 #545532  by SwingMan

Murjax wrote:There are a group of vandalized cafe cars which have the words "Yum Yum Car" underneath the sign that says "Food Service Car". I don't know how many there are, but I saw 2 of them within the course of a week last month and I know it wasn't the same car, because the car number was different from the first one. It's a fun catch for railfans, but one must wonder how someone could manage to get into one of Amtrak's yards and get away with all of that.

Amybe they did it while a train was in a terminal or on the Twilight Shoreliner during one of its long station stops :-D .

lirr415-Peter