Railroad Forums 

• SD40-2 7149

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #512278  by tj48

I remember reading a long time ago about BN's experiment with LNG powered engine(s).
Found this picture. What ever happened to this unit?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=113328
Was this a one off experiment or were there more of these?

#526831  by Engineer Spike

I wonder if this is the same unit that I was talking about in the thread about wreck rebuilds. Note the SD45 radiator section. The problem is, I remember my unit having the original BN paint, not the white face. I thint that this unit was done in the late 1980s, after the orange noses, and while the white face was in use.

#537100  by westr

I have a picture of this unit in July, 1999 in the middle of a consist in Vancouver, Washington still in its special paint scheme, but without its LNG tender.

I recall a brief article in Model Railroader years ago about BNs LNG units. I think there were two of them and I think they both had SD45-style flared radiators. BN 7023 was a non-LNG SD40-2 rebuilt with flared radiators. There might have been others.
 #777692  by Engineer Spike

That explains it. When I was a conductor trainee, the engineer of the turn which I was assigned to was somewhat of a buff. We either had the rebuild with the 45 radiators in our consist, or it was at Clyde roundhouse. The engineer pointed it out to me.