Railroad Forums 

• Railroad mystery on the History Channel

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#53229  by efin98

On the next episode of "Deep Sea Detectives" the host and his collegues investigate two rare steam locomotives found underwater off the New Jersey coast. Considering the series loves to get alot of background information on the technical aspects of the objects they find which helps in identifying the objects the program should have lots of great details about the locomotives that railfans will find interesting.

The show airs twice in the next ten days on Monday 9/20/04 at 9pm Eastern, repeated Saturday 9/25/04 at 2pm Eastern. It's worth a look if anyone has the time, the series is usually quite enteraining and looks to be one one of the better episodes of the series.

#53327  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

thanks efin98, that History channel is the best channel that i have, :-D Thanks again for the info about the show

#54494  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i am watching it now, and the show is great so far. the loco's were found 5 iles off the coast of New Jersey, there are 2 of them and they are the rare 2-2-2's (2 small front wheel's, 2 drive wheels and two small back wheels) A railraod historian said they are rare and only a handful were built

#54496  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i just found out more info. the rare locomotives were built between 1850 and 1855 right here in Boston, MA. There is only one of these locomotives left and it is calle the Pioneer. It is at Bethlaham, Penn.

#54576  by Aa3rt

I'd intended to watch the show last night and then, of course, forgot all about it until I read the writeups this morning. The Pioneer had been on display in "Railroad Hall" in the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History but was sent, on loan, to the National Museum of Industrial History.

For more information, follow the link...

http://americanhistory.si.edu/csr/locomove/locoph.htm

#55020  by efin98

I thought the show was great. It was a good mystery showcase for the investigators, their investigation hit parts that most people with little knowlege of locomotives would not think to look. They used their heads to try to find out the origin of the locomotives with the least amount of help from experts, while it took longer they learned alot and gives the viewers an education as well.
I'll try to watch the repeat this coming saturday(2pm Eastern I think), I'd like to see if they found the actual owners or if they were left hanging with only an area of the country. Closest area they narrowed it down to that I saw was a southern short line I think, probably CSX or NS country and maybe owned at one time by one of their former incarnations...

#93896  by Aa3rt

The show was rebroadcast here on the east coast at 10PM last (Monday, Jan. 31) evening, look for it agaiun this coming weekend.

#108862  by Aa3rt

I just stumbled across these links at the New Jersey Museum of Transportation website regarding the locomotives featured in this program:

http://www.njmt.org/savethetwins.htm