Railroad Forums 

• MBB Coaches

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#496642  by theinsider

jbvb wrote:... I am quite sure that most of the MBB cars I occupy most weekdays have 2-2 walkover seats, though most of the walkover mechanism are broken.
Not broken but unhooked, for lack of a better term. Too many seats were getting broken from passengers forcing them over when they did have issues. On ocassion you still do find and odd car that they can still be flipped.

#496725  by sery2831

I was told someone got hurt trying to force one over that was broken, so the T ordered all the seats to be fixed in one direction. There are a handful of cars that have some seats that still flip, and one or two that the entire cars flip.

#498750  by sery2831

railfan101 wrote:
jbvb wrote:The MBB cars were built with 2-2 walk-over seating, which made them much more comfortable on longer runs (I rode an MVRS excursion to Portland circa 1982 which was all MBB cars). Some also had public phones at one end (enclosure still visible). This was a hangover from the Dukakis-era "lets serve the Cape etc." philosophy, before the MBTA hunkered down to haul cattle - er, commuters with one stinking toilet and no water for 500 people, 50 of whom are standing...
Corect me if I wrong but the original Pullman cars of the late 70's were configured almost the same as the German cars
sery2831 wrote:I don't believe they had different seating, I am sure they had the 2x3 seating.
I stand corrected... I have obtained an interior picture of a Pullman 300 car with the split windows. And I was totally wrong what they looked inside! They did have walk over 2x2 seating like the Boise Budds. They also did not have a wood grain interior, they had a similar look to the current MBB cars! So I take it the MBB car interiors were modeled after the Pullman cars.

#499320  by theinsider

sery2831 wrote:I was told someone got hurt trying to force one over that was broken, so the T ordered all the seats to be fixed in one direction. There are a handful of cars that have some seats that still flip, and one or two that the entire cars flip.
Sounds like an employee hit the lottery :-D
I do know of a couple who pulled out their backs on those.
 #499337  by GP40MC1118

Ummmm....don't look now, but it's been reported that MBTA Coach 515
is eastbound by Old Orchard Beach! Assumed it was headed to Baltimore
like the other car did last year (toilet compartment work).

D

#501225  by sery2831

Car 530 has a new HVAC electrical control inside the car. First car I noticed to have one. It was also cold in the car.

#501312  by railfan101

sery2831 wrote:
railfan101 wrote:
jbvb wrote:The MBB cars were built with 2-2 walk-over seating, which made them much more comfortable on longer runs (I rode an MVRS excursion to Portland circa 1982 which was all MBB cars). Some also had public phones at one end (enclosure still visible). This was a hangover from the Dukakis-era "lets serve the Cape etc." philosophy, before the MBTA hunkered down to haul cattle - er, commuters with one stinking toilet and no water for 500 people, 50 of whom are standing...
Corect me if I wrong but the original Pullman cars of the late 70's were configured almost the same as the German cars
sery2831 wrote:I don't believe they had different seating, I am sure they had the 2x3 seating.
I stand corrected... I have obtained an interior picture of a Pullman 300 car with the split windows. And I was totally wrong what they looked inside! They did have walk over 2x2 seating like the Boise Budds. They also did not have a wood grain interior, they had a similar look to the current MBB cars! So I take it the MBB car interiors were modeled after the Pullman cars.
Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the original Pullman cars. I would love to see the comparison.

#501313  by railfan101

sery2831 wrote:
railfan101 wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the original Pullman cars. I would love to see the comparison.
 #501956  by CBass1307

GP40MC1118 wrote:Ummmm....don't look now, but it's been reported that MBTA Coach 515
is eastbound by Old Orchard Beach! Assumed it was headed to Baltimore
like the other car did last year (toilet compartment work).

D
I'm not sure if it's 515 , as I could not see the numbers from where I was, but there is an MBTA coach in Waterville yard as of yesterday at 4pm.

Judging by where it was I would assume it either just came in, is about to go out, or is being moved to another part of the yard shortly.
 #995396  by Dick H

There was an MBTA coach, reported to be the 515, on the rear of a
PAR wreck train move today (12/6). The wreck train is usually kept
at East Deerfield, but spent several months at Waterville. Where
the 515 is headed is unknown. Here's the video from Maineline Productions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAvEond ... ideo_title
 #995403  by sery2831

It appears it has joined the wreck train outfit. It is nice to see this car has found a new home after sitting idle for so long. I was hoping to see it converted for Office Car train.

Or it is getting dropped in Lowell to head to Boston...
 #995464  by sery2831

2008 I believe... It appears it is being returned to BET.