Railroad Forums 

• Why do I keep getting un-logged?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#424918  by pablo

All day, I keep logging in to check new posts, and it says there are none, but I can see them elsewhere. This has been happening quite a bit lately. What's going on?

Dave Becker
 #424919  by amtrakhogger

Check the "remember my password" box when you log on. If you
return later you will not have to log in and all new posts will be displayed.
Some disk cleanup software periodically cleans the hard drive of
temporary files, if you have this installed it may be causing the problem you describe.
Of course you may know this, but FWIK, the above statement may
solve your problem.

#424950  by charlie6017

Dave,
In addition to clearing your temporary files, try clearing your cookies, too.

#424959  by pablo

Seriously, thank you for your help. It's jus that there are times when I will check the site, and I haven't scanned anything, or anything like that, and there's no new posts, but I can clearly see that that's not the case. I'm wondering if the site had a blip or something.

David Becker

#425049  by Alloy

Hi David--
Check the clocks in the upper left hand corner of the opening page. The "You last visited" clock will sometimes show the exact same time as the "Time is now" clock. So the program says there's no new posts, because it thinks your last visit is your current visit. It doesn't matter if your 'real' last visit was four hours earlier--the clock defaults to match the current log-in.

This will happen to me every so often, and it took a while to figure out. I still don't know why. I know that people on AOL have these problems with phpBB forums. There's a sticky in this very forum where Mike and Otto wrestle with AOL ["AOL browser issues"] Sometimes you have to use a different browser to access this site, when you've got glitches like this one.

I do have AOL, at the moment. The site administrators on another forum told me they couldn't help me with this problem on their end. Fortunately, it doesn't occur enough to be a big hassle.
Last edited by Alloy on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#425061  by pablo

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm talking about. And I don't use AOL. At least I'm not alone!

Dave Becker

#429850  by Otto Vondrak

When in doubt...

- Dump all your cookies

- Restart your machine

See if that helps. That's about all I can offer on the subject.

-otto-