Railroad Forums 

• Notification of posts delete ot edited by moderators.

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#401979  by harryguy082589

Is it possible that the moderators PM users when they delete or edit their posts? I'd hate to find somebody asks me about something I did or did not say and I never knew I said it.

Should only take a second or two, maybe there is a way for the server to do it automatically.

P.S

Bout an 20 min ago I was getting errors around all of Railroad.net relating to database connections.

#402001  by GOLDEN-ARM

Mods should notate a post, when it's edited for content. Deleting or locking also should be explained, but there's no guarantee it will happen. Editing titles for clarity, or serious spelling errors with no other editing doesn't need notification. (example, someone titles a thread "my picture". It might need to be edited to "Photos from todays trip, 01-01-07" or something similar. "eye cnat spall reel gud" might be easier to read as "I can't spell very well", or something similar.) Depends on the mod, in the end. Regards.... :wink:

#402152  by Otto Vondrak

"Is it possible that the moderators PM users when they delete or edit their posts?"

Is is possible? Yes. Do we always have the time? No. Half the time when I PM someone, I get a nasty note back or no response at all, so why should I bother? Usually a notation is left in a thread when an edit is made. If you have a question about a deleted post, contact the moderator or myself.

The notation usually looks like this:

[Entire articles may not be cut and paste to this forum. -ov]

[Edited for clarity. -ov]

[Moved to XYZ Forum. -ov]

and so on and so on.

-otto-
 #418001  by henry6

I am getting confused by threads having titles changed, thus blew off in error!!!!
Last edited by henry6 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#418020  by Otto Vondrak

Henry, I'm not familiar with the thread or moderator you're talking about, and this discussion is better suited off-list. So send me a PM and we'll get to the bottom of it.

-otto-

#449871  by Andyt293

I think the above post applies to me. For some reason Henry6 insists on having the first three words of his posts appear in the subject line. I routinely delete those words from the subject line for the sake of clarity.

#449890  by GOLDEN-ARM

I too will change a topic name, for clarity, or to conform with the wishes of the Admin Staff. A topic with a title like "this really is stupid" looks better with something like "looking for an answer regarding XYZ.....", or "latest pictures" looks better as "My Lehigh Line photos, 09-19-2007". Sometimes titles have to be clarified, and the original poster can still see his name in the "original post" list, when looking at the menu list, in each forum, even if he doesn't recognize the title. (I will try to notate a change with a PM, or a "Mods note" on the bottom of the modifed post)

I would say, that IF you had a question regarding a particular post, that you might contact the Mods in that forum, and ASK them why the title was changed. If that isn't satisfactory, contact the Admins, who are always ready to help. I often close redundant topics as well, but I contact the poster, and ask them to move their post, into a relevant thread already used to discuss the info he/she feels is relevant. Failure to follow this, I will then delete the post, or lock it, after mentioning in the post, we are already discussing this topic.

Mods are people too, and we aren't perfect, and we do make mistakes. Sometimes taking the time to ask THEM why something was done, will benefit both parties, in coming to a mutual understanding. Just a thought..... :wink: