Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned trainyard near Richland, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#252898  by truman

In the early nineties, I made a wrong turn in upstate New York some where in the vicinity of a small town called Richland. I stumbled on to what appeared to be an abandoned, but intact train yard. I recall a water tower, freight house, possibly a small engine house, and the rail yard itself. Does anyone know where this was/is, and is it still there?
 #252917  by RussNelson

truman wrote:In the early nineties, I made a wrong turn in upstate New York some where in the vicinity of a small town called Richland. I stumbled on to what appeared to be an abandoned, but intact train yard. I recall a water tower, freight house, possibly a small engine house, and the rail yard itself. Does anyone know where this was/is, and is it still there?
Dude, if you turned and found a rail yard, you made a right turn, not a wrong turn!! :-D

There's some discussion of that line here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=15

#252920  by RSD15

I think what your describing is the old RW+O "Y" at richland.one leg went to rome one north to watertown and one to niagara falls/syracuse. not much left,just the water tower and a small brick building plus the CSX line from syracuse to montreal.

charles

#254433  by dozhtdarogainzhinyer

That Yard your talking about is still there its got about 4 or 5 tracks in it. Last time I was there was back in October-November 2001 it was being used for Storage at the time I do rember some well beat up Gondolas and MOW Equipment being stored there.
 #410096  by izzy1975

I dont know how I stumbled on this but Richland hasnt had a yard since the NYCRR went out. Yes there is a watertower, and the brick building you saw is part of the old depot, there is no engine house nor any tracks except a single mainline going from Syracuse to Canada. Now on the other hand if you were further south in Pulaski, there is a siding for Shroeller Paper and old wye at the south end, but even that is gone. In the ninties it was there but is now gone to a point. The wye is where the RWO and Syracuse Northern met then it all became the New York Central :wink:

Ps where you saw the watertower is where the Richland Fire Dept held its Field days until the mid 80's

#410174  by RussNelson

What you refer to as a wye used to be a crossing. The Syracuse & Northern used to go through Pulaski and met up with the RW&O at Lacona just east of Sandy Creek. You can still trace the roadbed; at least north of Pulaski. Inside Pulaski it's been pretty much obliterated. Bridge ruins are still there, to the west of the road bridge.
http://rutlandtrail.org/gmap.cgi?pulask ... k.ny.track

#410188  by roadster

Nothing in Richland now but a sharp curve, and a defect detector.
 #410216  by izzy1975

Your right Russ, I followed that when I lived in Sandy Creek. Very hard ROW to follow in some areas. In Pulaski it is hard to find, and as well as Sandy Creek. In Lacona it is easy becuase the trackage is still there. They used it as a siding for Blunt Lumber. I believe was the name! Snowmobliers use it during the winter months which is also the best time to see it as well. Isnt it amazing what changes over the course of the years. I wasnt even a glitch in my parents eye when the RWO, SN and NYC was even around. I know what I know now because I studied my history. I do remember the Pulaski Depot and was very Disappointed when it was torn down. Now there are only 3 remaining RWO Stations left between Oswego and Pulaski - Lycoming, Dempster, and Mexico. Oh yeah Mexico's depot is 4 sale. So if anyone wants to preserve history now is your chance. Lycomings is a residence and has been moved about a mile south from its original location. Dempsters depot is now a camp located on lake Ontario a few miles down the road. It was moved after the railroad went out in the 50's. It was owned by a lady who was the daughter of the Dempster Station Agent