Railroad Forums 

• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#373047  by jayrmli

From what I've heard about the LIRR level, if you dug any deeper you might meet the devil himself! :-D

Jay

#373113  by jlr3266

The real reason (since the third rail would have been replaced and much of the area that would have been used on the Lower Level used is still used as the LIRR ticketing/waiting area) is that the shallow option required underpinning of the entire stretch of MNRR tunnel above and several buildings.

The easement costs would have been ginormous, since you do not have to actually have drawings in hand to claim that you planned on rebuilding on the lot with a skyscraper and the tunnels would preclude the proper basement/foundation levels.

As for the depth. There are deeper subway stations. In other parts of the world, high speed escalators are quite common. But in NY....
 #373309  by henry6

jayrmli wrote:From what I've heard about the LIRR level, if you dug any deeper you might meet the devil himself! :-D

Jay
Actually it is supposed to be designed for a more effective interchange to deliver more Chinese steam locomotives to the U.S.

#373569  by RetiredLIRRConductor

It will be 15 stories underground. Will be a good place to be in the event of a nuclear war..I can see it now..the New adam and eve will be LIRR conductors lolol :wink:

#375380  by 35dtmrs92

I'm guessing that there is no way that a third rail can be built to accommodate both types of shoe? Seems practical to me.

#375535  by Crabman1130

Not to me. At the ends of the third rails or gaps the rail bends down, on the LIRR, to pick up the top running shoe. Now I would imagine it bends up to pick up the bottom running MNRR shoe. This would be a hard one to overcome.

#375772  by Spartan Phalanx

Remember in Dr. Strangelove, "mein fuhrer, I can walk!!!!"

#375795  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Peter Sellers rules...
from the pink panther...
Cheif Inspector: Where were you during the robbery?
Clouseau: I was doing my sworn duty as a police officer (heavy phoney french accent) I was questioning the blind beggar about his minkey.( thats right,minkey not monkey)
Chief Inspector: Minkey? you said minkey..
Clouseau:Yes that is correct, Chimpanzee minkey.
Chief Inspector:The Beggar was the lookout!
Clouseau: That is not possible
Chief Inspector: Why not?
Clouseau: How can a blind man be a lookout?
Chief inspector: How can an idiot be a police officer? Answer me that!
Clouseau: Well I suppose all he has to do is inlist...
Last edited by RetiredLIRRConductor on Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#375916  by Srnumber9

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?
Innkeeper: No.
(Dog savagely attacks Clouseau)
Clouseau: You said your dog does not bite!
Innkeeper: That is not my dog!

#375951  by DutchRailnut

ok back to choo choo's

#376023  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Hey! I have an Idea!! Rather then improve current equipment, and facilities, lets spend Billions and Billions of dollars to build another station
just 8 blocks uptown, and 4 blocks east..yeah thats it!!! ..and just for fun, lets make the tunnels too small for the bi-levels!!! Penn is 34th and 7th, Grand central is 42 and lex..could walk it in 20minutes or so...could have electrified and speed controlled the whole RR for that price, all for a station 12 blocks from penn.

#376052  by harryguy082589

Don't forget the LIRR already had half of ESA done already.

How close to capacity is MNR\GCT already? Is it anywhere near it?

#376054  by DutchRailnut

GCT is very close to capacity, not platform space but the fact that only four tracks feed this massive terminal.
By loosing 5 yard tracks to ESA the trains(10) stored on these tracks, now must go to and come from High bridge yard.

#376057  by harryguy082589

DutchRailnut wrote:GCT is very close to capacity, not platform space but the fact that only four tracks feed this massive terminal.
By loosing 5 yard tracks to ESA the trains(10) stored on these tracks, now must go to and come from High bridge yard.
Are all 67 track always in use? Just a few blocks away 3 railroads (including the busiest one in America) are doing ok at the moment sharing 21\20 tracks. Can't some of the tracks in GCT be used for mid-day layovers? Are they all always in use?

#376067  by DutchRailnut

I don't know where you get the 67 from but GCT only has 43 usable platform tracks 16 on lower level and 29 on upper level.
and all trains have to come tru same 4 tracks vs NY penn having 6 access points.