Railroad Forums 

• Bruce Meyer

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#265346  by mxdata

My friend Bruce Meyer passed away last week. Bruce had a long and distinguished career at EMD, and was one of the chief architects of modern locomotive wheelslip control technology. He was also widely respected as a steam enthusiast and an excellent railroad photographer. Bruce wrote articles and supplied supporting information on early diesels for many railroad writing projects by others including myself, and also contributed an extensive collection of EMD paint and styling drawings to the NMRA library. It is so unfortunate to see such talented people as Bruce pass away very early in their retirement.

#267644  by Steve M

MXDATA,
Thank you for the kind words, Yes he will be missed tremendously by the train world and enthusiasts...... How well did you know him? He is my uncle, brother to my father.

#267777  by mxdata

Steve, I had the pleasure of working with Bruce on many occasions on a variety of projects and he was always a great person to work with. Saying that he was an expert in his field is inadequate in Bruce's case, he was THE EXPERT in his field.

#267861  by Steve M

I knew him all these yrs and now I find out how well known he was for his vast knowledge..... He has over 100,000 negatives in black and white along with over 30,000 color slides in his basement, all of trains from 1956 till now.... His own train set up engoulfs the entire basement... Blue prints and all, never finished due to the complexity of it. 15 yrs in the making, 4 times more intensse then his first one 40 yrs ago...... He did alot of detail photos to help improve model trains and there realistic look along with the real thing. He passed away on the 50th anneversary of his first train chasing adventure with some of the future guys he worked with. If ever you might want a icture from his collection or something of that nature, let me know! He has thousands amoung thousand s of duplicate photos all developed by himself at his home!
Steve