Railroad Forums 

• Need help with a book title and author

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#173345  by Metalrailz

The book I need help with was written by a conductor or an engineer and it was true life stories/situations while working for the railroad. I remember it being mentioned here on RR.net about a year ago, but have been unable to track it down. Any ideas?

#173360  by Aa3rt

Can we have a little more to go on? State(s), regions, railroads?

I'd provided a link for a book written by a gentleman who worked for the PRR in north-central PA. The book is titled "Set Up Running-The Life of a Pennsylvania Railroad Engineman, 1904-1949" Is this the one?

If so, its offered by the Penn State University Press:

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-02056-3.html

#173872  by BR&P

There are a lot of books out there that would fit that description. Two of my favorites are "My Life On Mountain Railroads" by Gilbert Gould, and "Brownie The Boomer" by Charles P. Brown. And don't forget "Boomer - Railroad Memories" by Linda Niemann.
 #177431  by 2nd trick op

Although it concerns an operator rather than an employee in train service, another good firsthand account I ran across is "Singing Rails", by Herbert Pease, who was an operator for the underappreciated Chicago and Alton at the turn of the (19th/20th) century.

#177531  by CSX Engineer 98

You want some real great true Railroad stories. You should look up stories written by Doug Riddel Hes an Amtrak Engineer now But started as a Brakeman for the Seaboard Coast Line. The stories he writes about real life railroad is Awesome. I believe he writes "Tales from the Cab"