Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1520522  by nomis

Yesterday, 9/19 was the final loaded Coal train to depart the power plant - NS 780 operated by CA-51. The consist was 63 loads and 47 empties, of the 110 car set that has been bouncing back and forth this year.
 #1521161  by johnnyloco

9/19/2019
Here is the last coal train that will ever run on the Beesleys, at the dismal remains of the once very busy Williamstown Jct.-

http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=5194173

http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=5194180

http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=5194182

Collings Ave.-
http://manatree.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... id=5194186

(I was having problems posting to this site last week.)
 #1585479  by glennk419

Latest on the fate of the B.L. England power plant. I wonder if there would be any market for an extension of tourist train service once the site is redeveloped?

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/news/lo ... Z5sqSNtilI

Fair use quote: Ihave some really, especially good news,” Palombo said at the start of the meeting. “I’m happy to announce that the B.L. England plant site has been sold.”

According to Palombo, the new owners plan to demolish the existing buildings at the site, which include the idle generating station and smokestack where the Great Egg Harbor River widens into a bay, as well as a massive cooling tower.
 #1585484  by Ken W2KB

With respect to tourist train service, that depends upon the willingness of Conrail to allow it, and more critical, the cost to maintain the track at a minimum of FRA Class 1 standard. Another factor is whether there are any plans to utilize the right of way for electric transmission facilities to support the currently approved and potential future offshore wind turbines or other utility purposes.
 #1585485  by R&DB

Ken wrote:
With respect to tourist train service, that depends upon the willingness of Conrail to allow it, and more critical, the cost to maintain the track at a minimum of FRA Class 1 standard. Another factor is whether there are any plans to utilize the right of way for electric transmission facilities to support the currently approved and potential future offshore wind turbines or other utility purposes.
Conrail has no customers on the line beyond Tuckahoe (NJSL). They already allow CMSL excursions on the Beesley Secondary from Tuckahoe to Richland. The offshore electricity will tie into the existing grid at the former generating station. No need for new power lines.
 #1585490  by Bracdude181

Tuckahoe to Beeseleys Point is already Class 1 but for passenger ops replacing some ties and fixing some things here and there won’t hurt. With BL England gone Conrail will have almost no reason to keep the line so I can definitely see CMSL leasing it for car storage at the very least.

If whoever bought BL England plays their cards right I can see the place being a popular tourist destination, perhaps even one to justify a Richland (or maybe even Winslow Junction) to Beeseleys point tourist train. But that will probably depend on how popular the hotel will be.
 #1585491  by Ken W2KB

Since Conrail has no customers beyond Tuckahoe on the Secondary it will not want to maintain the track of the Beasleys Industrial, and thus likely would not permit tourist operation unless, perhaps, the tourist line fully compensates Conrail for the cost of that maintenance. The currently approved offshore wind generation project will use the existing transmission, but there is an expectation of additional large offshore projects that will need new transmission as the existing line does not have sufficient capacity beyond the current project, and electric system reliability requirements would likely require an alternate route, such as the railroad right of way, to avoid a single contingency from disrupting wheeling of all offshore generation.
 #1585501  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB True, Conrail most likely won’t want the line now that BL England will be torn down, but why would that mean they won’t permit a tourist train operation? That track out there really isn’t that bad at all. Sure there’s a spot or two that could use some work but it’s not like that line is unsafe. Remember it was accommodating long and heavy trains regularly for many years.
 #1585503  by RailsEast

If my information is correct, there are only a handful of insurance companies nationally (maybe 3 or 4) who are willing these days to underwrite a tourist operation. Insurance premiums are a big reason that some lines run, and others not. I'm sure CR would require certain coverage limits before the general public would be allowed to traverse their rails.
 #1585522  by Bracdude181

@RailsEast From what I’ve heard you may be right on that. Not sure whatever Conrail requires insurance wise but since CMSL is still running on Conrail tracks then I’m sure they are meeting Conrails standards at this time.
 #1585527  by WashingtonPark

The big question is why would CMSL want to run a tourist train there. Tony makes his money on car storage and loses it on railfan rides. I'm sure they want the line for car storage, and that's it. If CMSL made money off tourist trains they'd be running Richmond to Tuckahoe every weekend.
 #1585529  by Bracdude181

@WashingtonPark Yes, CMSL needs a reason first and right now there isn’t one. But perhaps a big tourist attraction creating lots of road traffic could justify such a train?

I will say that if nothing comes of this, that line would be perfect for car storage. CMSL will have way more space for it and they can take all those cars off the Cape May Branch, providing an opportunity to get that up and running without miles of stored cars in the way.

However, I’ve also heard that the debris from BL England will be hauled out of there by rail using gondolas. No idea if that’s true but if it is then perhaps Conrail will hold onto the line for just a little bit longer. Unless they let CMSL move the gondolas to and from Tuckahoe and Conrail takes them from there.