Railroad Forums 

• LIC Coach Yard to be decked over with high risers...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1507308  by Rockingham Racer

ConstanceR46 wrote:I don't think it can be juiced up; it's the terminal for many diesel services.
What's to prevent diesels from running under catenary? NS does it all the time south of Wilmington, DE off the Port Road Branch and on to Baltimore, as one example. Perhaps you are inferring a ventilation issue? Chicago Union Station--all diesels--is covered over, so I assume there is a proper way to ventilate.
 #1507402  by R36 Combine Coach

Rockingham Racer wrote:
ConstanceR46 wrote:I don't think it can be juiced up; it's the terminal for many diesel services.
What's to prevent diesels from running under catenary? NS does it all the time south of Wilmington, DE off the Port Road Branch and on to Baltimore, as one example. Perhaps you are inferring a ventilation issue? Chicago Union Station--all diesels--is covered over, so I assume there is a proper way to ventilate.
Also Back Bay and 30th Street Lower Level.
 #1507455  by troffey

I would hesitate to use Back Bay as a current example of how to properly ventilate for diesel operations. The MBTA is in the process of spending three million to improve the notoriously bad ventilation. Information can be found at https://www.mbta.com/projects/back-bay- ... provements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/1120767 ... 32/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you're interested in the logisitics of it.
 #1508108  by daybeers

No no no! Back Bay is a cesspool of cancer for the tens of thousands of commuters who pass through there every day! This cannot happen, at least without proper ventilation which will probably be a significant portion of the project cost if this is ever done.