Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1506404  by PlaneLoverA380

Backshophoss wrote:That would be for the CannonBall consist,that maxes out at 12 coaches.
Yes, I saw #2798 on the sign and knew it was for the Cannonball. But I thought it doesn’t stop at Jamaica?
 #1506454  by MattAmity90

It originates at Hunterspoint Avenue, not sure about Jamaica if it stops there, and then it travels down the Babylon Branch expressing all the way, and makes its' first Montauk Branch stop at Westhampton.
 #1506466  by PlaneLoverA380

On the Montauk schedule it says it originates at Penn without stopping at Jamaica. I think they did away with Hunterspoint a few years ago. Let’s stay on topic, though.
 #1506467  by DutchRailnut

signs might be posted just in case ?? agree on NYP origination.
 #1506483  by Backshophoss

The "Peak Season" Cannonball does come out of NY Penn,otherwise,all the Montauk diesel runs are out of Hunterspoint Ave(LIC)
and stop at Jamaica for the NYP connecting train
 #1506608  by PlaneLoverA380

Not MARC or Holiday Extras. Special trains maybe. Gregorygrice has a video of two DM consists coupled, one broke down in West Side. Added up to 17 units altogether.
 #1507052  by njtmnrrbuff

Is it still certain that the M9s will be entering revenue service next month?

It's possible that I might do a railfanning trip in Long Island on Monday and hope to see the M9s testing.
 #1507093  by Backshophoss

There should be at least a Press release,or some sort of PR event planned for the day the M-9's are in service,watch for that on the MTA.info site. :wink:
 #1507168  by PlaneLoverA380

Backshophoss wrote:There should be at least a Press release,or some sort of PR event planned for the day the M-9's are in service,watch for that on the MTA.info site. :wink:
Yes, us railfans could get to ride the first run, like they did with the M1s.
 #1507189  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:I seem to remember watching the first revenue run of an M-7 train on the news years ago.
Here's what I know, and what I want to know.

1.) I know the maiden M1 revenue train was train #93: The 5:52 AM from Babylon to Penn Station where it is scheduled to arrive at 7:05 AM. In between Babylon and Wantagh, it did not stop at Copiague, Massapequa Park, and Seaford. That took place on December 30th, 1968 because I've done a lot of research and collected information regarding the fleet. Trip was like a rollercoaster because they were in the middle of elevating the Babylon Branch when the trip took place. Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Bellmore, and Merrick were still at grade level, and 22 grade crossings were in the process of elimination.

2.) The M7's maiden revenue train was from Long Beach to Penn Station and took place on October 30th, 2002.

3.) Does anyone know which branch will see the maiden M9 revenue train? My guess is the Ronkonkoma Branch.
 #1507201  by PlaneLoverA380

MattAmity90 wrote:
Head-end View wrote:I seem to remember watching the first revenue run of an M-7 train on the news years ago.
3.) Does anyone know which branch will see the maiden M9 revenue train? My guess is the Ronkonkoma Branch.
Yeah, that would be my guess too. I do have some questions also.

1. Would it be on a weekend or a weekday?

2. Would it be a special publicized event, like the M1s, or a low-key thing? If so then this would be my only source of info.

3. Would it be a normal scheduled run, or an extra?

Thanks in advance!
 #1507204  by MACTRAXX

PL - Answering your questions:

1-Weekday - likely a peak hour run. This will expose regular commuters to the new M9 equipment.
2-More then likely the LIRR will announce in advance when the first revenue M9 run will be.
3-As mentioned in question #1 it will most likely be a regular peak hour train.

I am thinking that the LIRR should give enough advance notice to allow those interested including
the rail enthusiast community to plan either to ride or watch this first scheduled run. MACTRAXX