Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1505345  by PlaneLoverA380

mwichten wrote:Facebook is abuzz today about a 14 car test train, and much disbelief as you can imagine.

https://youtu.be/WSpzEklRd7c
Now that’s rare! Why 14 cars though? Is this a one off? I may or may not go to Pinelawn this weekend or next week on a weekday.
 #1505360  by Head-end View

I heard the crew of that train talking to Divide tower last night. Sounded like Divide was temporarily putting them into station track-1 at Hicksville Station and there was a question about whether all 14 cars would fit on that platform or on that track.
 #1505378  by Head-end View

I'm still curious why the placement of the headlights and marker lights on the M9's is the reverse of the M7's. Wonder if the LIRR spec'd them that way, (and if so, why?) or if the manufacturer just happened to build it like that.

With the marker lights closer together on the M9's I could see where an engineer following an M9 train at night might think the train ahead is further away than it actually is. Could that cause a problem where trains sometimes follow each other closely at restricted speed?
 #1505399  by DutchRailnut

with atc and ptc ??? lets hope not .
 #1506193  by DutchRailnut

hmm since cars are Kawasaki why those two manufacturers?
 #1506260  by MattAmity90

When it comes to 14 car consists, I snapped this photo at Jamaica when I was in Long Island for a visit back on Friday. I also saw the M9 testing at Jamaica, and sorry if it is sideways. It was taken using my iPhone.
IMG_0581.JPG
 #1506333  by PlaneLoverA380

MattAmity90 wrote:When it comes to 14 car consists, I snapped this photo at Jamaica when I was in Long Island for a visit back on Friday. I also saw the M9 testing at Jamaica, and sorry if it is sideways. It was taken using my iPhone.
Yes, while leaving Jamaica eastbound, I did see a sign that read “14 UNIT” and below it read “#2798”. And 2798 does have 12 coaches and 2 DM units. (Technically 14 cars)