Railroad Forums 

• MP-54 #4153 At CT Trolley Museum

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1503558  by newkirk

The last time I rode this car. It was brought out for us as a charter bus group from NYC. At that time staff told us that they don't normnally run #4153 because of electrical consumption. Yes it ran and ran well.
 #1503573  by Kelly&Kelly

They let us operate that car up and down the track 40 years ago. It has trolley poles added on it and ran just as well as it did in service. Could have been that same day those pictures were taken in 1979. I wonder what it looks like now.
 #1503585  by Backshophoss

Does this museum use a rotary converter or a "solid state inverter" to power the wire?
Branford uses both when the big cars from the subway and PATH are in use.
 #1503586  by newkirk

Kelly & Kelly wrote: I wonder what it looks like now.
July 30, 2016
 #1503588  by newkirk

#4137 at Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME (August 21, 2017)
 #1503629  by newkirk

belpaire wrote: I can’t imagine either LI railroad museum trying to get it and it’s unlikely to be wanted anywhere else. Hopefully someone will come to its rescue.
The cost of hauling that car back to the "island" would be one thing, but is there any room for it to be stored ?
 #1503631  by RGlueck

The car at Kennebunkport is in tought shape, I mean, like "parts shape". The Connecticut MP54 is an entirely different beast, and may be in better condition.
 #1503647  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: The car at Kennebunkport is in tough shape, I mean, like "parts shape". The Connecticut MP54 is an entirely different beast, and may be in better condition.
I'll agree with you on that. Is the alternative cutting them up ? Once they're gone, they're gone for good. Nice if some railfan who hit the Powerball for millions could step in and do something. But I guess I'm just dreaming.
 #1504192  by Engineer Spike

I grew up near the museum. I believe the LIRR was acquired with the help of museum member, and LIRR employee Harry Vallas. He was an engineer, retired 30 years ago, and passed away about 7-8 years ago.
 #1504215  by Liquidcamphor

I heard that Harry passed away. I worked with him many times and he was a pretty interesting guy that never changed with the times. As the years go by more and more of our old friends pass on.
 #1504287  by RGlueck

Perhaps someone should make a site visit and check out the MP54 in Connecticut? The Maine one is used for storage and parts, assuming it hasn't been otherwise condemned.
 #1586131  by jbvb

LIRR 4137 has some broken glass and enough corrosion in the vestibules that I haven't been motivated to climb up casually, even though it's next to Seashore's bunkhouse. Next time a ladder is handy I'll see if the doors into the body are locked. It's not a good candidate for operating at Seashore; 59 tons overall and 15.8 tons on each motor truck axle is a lot for our trolley track. So are 8' wheelbase trucks.
 #1586144  by 4behind2

A better selling point would have the MP54's refurbished for operation here, akin to the low voltage cars at NYCTA and trundled out for special occasions and holidays. This of course takes funding , vision and forward thinking (think opening ceremony of the now contentious third track project), all of the reasons it won't happen.

Off topic: "Uncle" Harry Valis was one of two New Haven employees who went into engine service here (the other being the late Seymour Holzer who brought his Dachshund to work with him). Ever the New Englander, Harry would regale in NH stories of the Holyoke Freight ("I wasn't out to make any friends") and the "Spam Cans" M1's which he despised.
 #1586198  by ConstanceR46

From a cursory glance 4153 is still there and decently? intact. From what i've gleaned, her main issue is the typical-to-MP54 body rot.

I don't think LIRR would ever okay historic stock runs, imo. Notwithstanding that the pool of MP54s which could be used and are nearby isn't very big, they've never been amicable to heritage runs before, and there's still the fact that restoring them to operation would take a lot of time and money.