Railroad Forums 

• My LIRR Website Update February 2019

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1502205  by MattAmity90

I have a clearer photo of the Spring 1973 Amityville photo. Somebody redid it for me, but I will be going back for a more clear look. I've got others, but they could only do so much with scanning.
AHS3b.jpg
 #1502245  by LB

Looks like the Amityville 68-73 pedestrian bridge was pretty long. I think it was built to go over both the original and temporary tracks after they removed the old trolley track bridge that was previously used as a cross over.
 #1502268  by MattAmity90

Originally it was a combo pedestrian bridge that spanned from the Westbound temporary platform when it was under construction all the way to the low-level Eastbound platform that would be torn up shortly afterward. On October 25th, 1968 they closed the low-levels off and tore down the South half. I've got a FOIL that I requested from NYSDOT of the project, and the project was a tight squeeze to begin with according to blueprints. Unlike Copiague and Lindenhurst, there were two stair cases on the South end at the top (going up one set, then at the mid-level deck where you would go up perpendicular to the tracks there were two sets of stairs, then the WB platform part was just one single staircase). I'll be going back this month or next month to the AHS and use my Mom's iPhone to take clearer pictures since I keep having trouble distinguishing if that's the pedestrian bridge or the end of the platforms where the M1 is.
 #1502578  by LB

From what I recall, the Amityville Pedestrian Cross-over bridge for the temporary tracks went under the elevated track bed and came out just north of the construction.
 #1502784  by MattAmity90

fender52 wrote:Steve,

Great work. A lot of good info here.
If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to discover and enjoy these photos that are troves of treasure! I fortunate to be an LIRR historian, and help out with some info. The Amityville Historical Society photo was thanks to me, but it was him that made it possible for me to envision the grade-level Babylon Branch that existed before 1980. He's been doing it his whole life, but I started my research WAY back in 2007. He gets all the credit, along with other fellow enthusiasts, but I'm just a kid at 28, a savant in which I hope I can keep the info going down the road.
 #1502827  by newkirk

I have a clearer photo of the Spring 1973 Amityville photo. Somebody redid it for me, but I will be going back for a more clear look.
I was the one who cleaned up that image in Photoshop. Need more done ?
 #1502863  by MattAmity90

newkirk wrote:
I have a clearer photo of the Spring 1973 Amityville photo. Somebody redid it for me, but I will be going back for a more clear look.
I was the one who cleaned up that image in Photoshop. Need more done ?
No, but I'll let you know, I can't thank you enough.
 #1502879  by nyandw

MattAmity90 wrote:
fender52 wrote:Steve,

Great work. A lot of good info here.
If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to discover and enjoy these photos that are troves of treasure! I fortunate to be an LIRR historian, and help out with some info. The Amityville Historical Society photo was thanks to me, but it was him that made it possible for me to envision the grade-level Babylon Branch that existed before 1980. He's been doing it his whole life, but I started my research WAY back in 2007. He gets all the credit, along with other fellow enthusiasts, but I'm just a kid at 28, a savant in which I hope I can keep the info going down the road.

Thank you all for the kind words. Note: You folks here are part of the catalyst and information providers. Take the wreck page, for example: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrwr ... wrecks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it has "exploded" with input and material from this thread. Thank you again.