Railroad Forums 

• Model Train storage solutions?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1501240  by jwhite07

I prefer to simply store them in the boxes they come in, or something of a similar size (hoppers and 40 foot box cars in HO will fit in the boxes you get checkbooks mailed to you in). There are a few other options out there - Reboxx sells suitably sized boxes and foam inserts, and Spring Mills Depot sells large stackable boxes and carrying cases if you need to store/transport a large number of pieces. Both vendors sell online.
 #1501295  by NaugyRR

I actually use an old entertainment center to store my trains in until I buy a house in a year or two. My TV sits on the top, the space where the old style TV would fit holds my railroad books, and the glass doors where the VCR/DVD and other items would go hold my trains. I also collect Legos and use an actual glass display cabinet for them, but it could be used for trains just as easily. Craigslist, LetGo, flea markets, thrift stores, and used furniture stores are great places to find these for cheap. Entertainment centers especially, since more people are wall-hanging flat screens now. I'll take a better picture of my setup when I get home tonight.
Attachments:
Lego Display
Lego Display
thumbnail2.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
Train Display
Train Display
thumbnail.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
 #1501348  by NaugyRR

Here's a better look of the entertainment center setup that I described...
Attachments:
Zoomed In
Zoomed In
thumbnail.jpg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
Overview
Overview
thumbnail2.jpg (92.32 KiB) Viewed 2632 times