Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1470230  by mcgrath618

glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.
The Warminster line is also at capacity and hopefully with the Jenkintown substation being online and adding capacity on this side of the railroad, we'll see some more PP's.
There are actually two PP's back on the West Trenton line right now.
I've never seen PPs on the Warminster line, but it'd be cool.
I HAVE, however, seen at least one headed to Media.
 #1500743  by NorthPennLimited

A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

I’m guessing the next schedule change will be daylight savings? Can anyone else confirm?
 #1500757  by tgolanos

mcgrath618 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.
The Warminster line is also at capacity and hopefully with the Jenkintown substation being online and adding capacity on this side of the railroad, we'll see some more PP's.
There are actually two PP's back on the West Trenton line right now.
I've never seen PPs on the Warminster line, but it'd be cool.
I HAVE, however, seen at least one headed to Media.
Warminster had PPs ages ago, like 10-12 years back (if not more recently). I left the area in 2012 and I hadn't seem the PPs on the Warminster line since before that, though.
 #1500771  by zebrasepta

NorthPennLimited wrote:A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

I’m guessing the next schedule change will be daylight savings? Can anyone else confirm?
Lansdale/Doylestown line can definitely use a push-pull especially for few of their express trains especially the afternoon express 6576 which does express from Temple University to North Wales.
 #1500772  by zebrasepta

NorthPennLimited wrote:A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

Lansdale/Doylestown line can definitely use a push-pull especially for few of their express trains especially the afternoon express 6576 which does express from Temple University to North Wales.
 #1500782  by sammy2009

Are the push-pulls still on the Trenton Line ? I'm guessing with the more push-pull runs they can move the Silverliners around and maybe more frequent trips on some lines. ?
 #1500790  by CNJGeep

sammy2009 wrote:Are the push-pulls still on the Trenton Line ?
No. It's MUs long term because Amtrak needs equipment moved around Trenton and Ham at night, and not everyone is qualified yet.
 #1500791  by CNJGeep

The next schedule change (3/10/19) is expected to bring a 4-Car set onto the railroad, operating all day across the system.

Keep your eyes peeled for it, it'll be going to Norristown, Elwyn (Twice), Warminster, and Doylestown, as well as Thorndale.
 #1500810  by mcgrath618

CNJGeep wrote:The next schedule change (3/10/19) is expected to bring a 4-Car set onto the railroad, operating all day across the system.

Keep your eyes peeled for it, it'll be going to Norristown, Elwyn (Twice), Warminster, and Doylestown, as well as Thorndale.
What's the reasoning behind this? Obviously not all of these are going to be express runs, so why use push pulls?
 #1500846  by ChesterValley

I'd be willing to bet PP. I've seen them running on Paoli I assumed they were training Engineers, not readying new service.

SEPTA also mentioned them using them for service back duing the ACS-64 release:
The new locomotives will be used to convert existing AEM-7 and ALP-44 runs on the Paoli/Thorndale, Wilmington/Newark, West Trenton, and Media/Elwyn Lines to ACS-64 locomotive runs. The new engines will also provide relief for the Silverliner IV Multiple Unit cars, which date from the early 1970's. By this October we will finally be able to say goodbye to the AEM-7 and ALP-44 locomotives.
 #1500854  by mcgrath618

ChesterValley wrote:I'd be willing to bet PP. I've seen them running on Paoli I assumed they were training Engineers, not readying new service.

SEPTA also mentioned them using them for service back duing the ACS-64 release:
The new locomotives will be used to convert existing AEM-7 and ALP-44 runs on the Paoli/Thorndale, Wilmington/Newark, West Trenton, and Media/Elwyn Lines to ACS-64 locomotive runs. The new engines will also provide relief for the Silverliner IV Multiple Unit cars, which date from the early 1970's. By this October we will finally be able to say goodbye to the AEM-7 and ALP-44 locomotives.
We all interpreted this as the Sprinter being a helper unit. Awesome that it will actually be running a push-pull train.
 #1500925  by glennk419

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be keeping my ears open along the Warminster branch. Would be great to have some PP's back.
 #1501007  by dcipjr

Makes sense, every time we go by Wayne Electric, it's ACS-64s laying around as far as the eyes can see. Might as well put them to use.

Does SEPTA have enough coaches to make this viable?