Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1441145  by RGlueck

Taken last Saturday, August/2017 The remains of LIRR S1 switcher 417, in Colonie, NY/ Startlingly, the body and rails are in solid condition, but everything else is long gone. Cab floor is rotten.
I understand CPR has plans to recover the scrap, but here is an example of a classic LIRR switcher, which if gutted, could be painted up and "safed" as a "Please Touch" exhibit. Something similar has been done to an ex-EL Alco in a NYC park.

I know it doesn't have roller bearings or brakes, and I know it costs money. This is why we have education grants.
Attachments:
DSC_3338bc.jpg
DSC_3338bc.jpg (273.71 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
DSC_3337bc.jpg
DSC_3337bc.jpg (338.07 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
DSC_3336c.jpg
DSC_3336c.jpg (426.58 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
 #1500649  by Cameron Wolk

RGlueck wrote:Taken last Saturday, August/2017 The remains of LIRR S1 switcher 417, in Colonie, NY/ Startlingly, the body and rails are in solid condition, but everything else is long gone. Cab floor is rotten.
I understand CPR has plans to recover the scrap, but here is an example of a classic LIRR switcher, which if gutted, could be painted up and "safed" as a "Please Touch" exhibit. Something similar has been done to an ex-EL Alco in a NYC park.

I know it doesn't have roller bearings or brakes, and I know it costs money. This is why we have education grants.
Hi Rich, myself and president Fisher have deliberated much over this topic in the past and had come to the conclusion she was not worth saving. The #417 was offered to Twin Forks NRHS over two decades ago and they refused the offer then due to the poor mechanical condition of the unit (cracked block). Both organizations lacked the funds to move the locomotive and with other projects ongoing there was no possibility of this succeeding. I spoke with the owner, Mr. Jedlicka a month ago on the matter. Mr. Colangelo from the DL spoke of parting her out and the rest would be torched accordingly. We are unfortunate she couldn't be saved but her parts will enable other historic Alcos to keep running in the years to come.

Cameron
 #1500668  by RGlueck

Cameron, is she being towed to DL for "harvesting" or being cut up on the site? Is she already gone?

If Twin Forks has the money available, or if any LIRR historical group has the money, bringing home one of the last C420's would be a prime goal. It doesn't appear that RS3 #1556 will run again, but a well cared for static line of representative locomotives could be valuable. Yeah, I know, it's money, but consider what we would give today to have a C-Liner other FM from our past.

Thinking aloud.
 #1500672  by Cameron Wolk

RGlueck wrote:Cameron, is she being towed to DL for "harvesting" or being cut up on the site? Is she already gone?

If Twin Forks has the money available, or if any LIRR historical group has the money, bringing home one of the last C420's would be a prime goal. It doesn't appear that RS3 #1556 will run again, but a well cared for static line of representative locomotives could be valuable. Yeah, I know, it's money, but consider what we would give today to have a C-Liner other FM from our past.

Thinking aloud.
The #417 is gone for good, one of Colangelo's associates had her parted a few weeks ago from what I hear. I've consulted about such an idea with Fisher and he is not interested. Right now we are focused on bringing that Lehigh Valley trailer we found upstate back home and getting the #1 ready for the summer season. I'm at odds with the museum board right now, if they couldn't step up with the steam generator transplant then I'm not sure we're capable anymore of tackling large scale projects. I have considered leasing the #1556 to the DL which may serve a better use for her than rusting away for an eternity. We'll see where we are in the next 5 years.

Cameron
 #1501597  by workextra

That would be the absolute best possible case for 1556. As it’s going to be scrapped if it stays on LI. LIRR with it’s serious motive power shortages with the MP15s could benefit by using 1556 at the Jamaica protect engine. But DL would be a better suited operation.
 #1501678  by Ðauntless

Why does everyone have to bring up DL every time an Alco comes up these days?
 #1501685  by trainspot

Ðauntless wrote:Why does everyone have to bring up DL every time an Alco comes up these days?
Same reason they mention SMS everytime it’s a Baldwin. :wink:
 #1501696  by ConstanceR46

workextra wrote:That would be the absolute best possible case for 1556. As it’s going to be scrapped if it stays on LI. LIRR with it’s serious motive power shortages with the MP15s could benefit by using 1556 at the Jamaica protect engine. But DL would be a better suited operation.
How the hell is 1556, a locomotive in decent condition owned by a museum and currently preserved, going to be scrapped?

LIRR hasn't had an Alco operating in decades; making 1556 work would require a whole new spare parts supply and know-how that just isn't there.
 #1501704  by Cameron Wolk

workextra wrote:That would be the absolute best possible case for 1556. As it’s going to be scrapped if it stays on LI. LIRR with it’s serious motive power shortages with the MP15s could benefit by using 1556 at the Jamaica protect engine. But DL would be a better suited operation.
We have no plans to ever scrap or sell off #1556. She is for right now a static display piece. I believe some of the volunteers have started doing work on her again but don't take my word for it. If she stays on the island I can say that she is unlikely to ever run again. We have discussed with the railroad doing excursions with museum equipment and the response has not been positive. The best hope if we wanted would be to make a lease agreement with an Alco friendly group like the DL and work from there. Like I said we'll see what happens.

Cameron
 #1501706  by RGlueck

May I suggest we change from LIRR 417 to something like "Preserving LIRR ALCO's"?
LIRR 417 is now a memory, ergo, the current discussion has wandered.