Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1500447  by BM6569

Really enjoying the photos. Please post more as you have time. Steve's website might be a good place for some of these pictures.
 #1500455  by nyandw

Bellerose-Freight-Derailment4_3-10-93_ScottNiagara.jpg
Hi Folks, Concerning the Bellerose wreck: Newsday had reported: Bellerose Freight Derailment Newsday 03/11/1993
"Nine of the 15 cars on the eastbound freight train derailed at about 11:45 a.m." said Michael Charles, a LIRR spokesman.

cr9617's fine photos indicate night ops with light snow fall followed by this later daytime shot (perhaps). Did Newsday get the time of accident incorrect (maybe 11:45pm), or?
 #1500457  by nyandw

BM6569 wrote:Really enjoying the photos. Please post more as you have time. Steve's website might be a good place for some of these pictures.
Thanks for the plug! Yes, I am updating the site with new material. Will let you all know. :-)

cr9617: Can you for the benefit of all rotate some of the photos posted 180 degrees via the scan so they are upright. Thanks! Nice material.
Last edited by nyandw on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1500458  by newkirk

nyandw

If you like, you can add this to your page. It's a snapshot of the "pickle works" wreck I bought at a flea market some years ago.
 #1500463  by BuddR32

Very cool photos. I think I can recognize some of the wreck crew guys.

Somewhere I have photos of the Babylon Station vs M1 wreck from 1984. If I find them, I'll post them here.
 #1500468  by cr9617

nyandw wrote:
BM6569 wrote:Really enjoying the photos. Please post more as you have time. Steve's website might be a good place for some of these pictures.
Thanks for the plug! Yes, I am updating the site with new material. Will let you all know. :-)

cr9617: Can you for the benefit of all rotate some of the photos posted 180 degrees via the scan so they are upright. Thanks! Nice material.
Are the actual images upside down too when you click on them? For me they are fine, just the thumbs are 180. I couldn't find a way to rotate them.
 #1500469  by jayrmli

Yes this has been a refreshing topic on this site. A couple of notes to add:

1) Steve asked if the sand operation to Bridgehampton continued into the NYA era. It did not. They stopped paying their bills when the freight was still operated by LIRR. NYA never moved cars for them.
2) Queens Interlocking wreck - When I was in training for NYA, we had a great class taught by Bob McDermott as a guest lecturer on the use of train orders. At the time, Bob's initials were used as the signature for all train orders (RAM). After the lecture, he brought along a VHS tape of some of the rerailing operation that took place. Very interesting video which I wish I had a copy of! One thing that hasn't been mentioned about this wreck is that while the Main Line was shut down for days after during the cleanup, just as it was reopened LIRR received a second blow with a nor'easter/ice and snowstorm which shut operations down again.
 #1500470  by 4behind2

The job itself that day was the RF7, with George G Engr., and George B Condr. Can't remember the Bkmn.
 #1500479  by scopelliti

Yes, it is strange that the photos in the replies are upside down, yet display right side up when clicked.

BTW these photios give a good feeling fior the incredible forces involved in a major derailment. I see one photo where one rail of a frog is just ripped away. Used to live in Allegany, NY and was at a derailment site. I remember a riveted box car where one steel panel had been pulled away from the other. The rivets were still attached to the lower panel and the other panel had enlarged holes where the rivets had been! Pulled through like taffy, only thick steel!
 #1500880  by nyandw

Anyone with further info/photos on this occurrence? East of Patchogue, c.2005 3 bay grain hoppers bound for Eastport Feeds derailment at MP55 (just east of South Country Rd, East Patchogue). Thank you.
 #1500892  by freightguy

Steve,

Are you sure that’s East Patchogue by South Country Road? That photo may be off Long Island altogether. That definitely didn’t happen during the New York and Atlantic era if that date is accurate. It probably would’ve of gotten a lot more news coverage effecting the Montauk branch in what appears to be the summer season.
 #1500932  by nyandw

freightguy wrote:Steve, Are you sure that’s East Patchogue by South Country Road? That photo may be off Long Island altogether. That definitely didn’t happen during the New York and Atlantic era if that date is accurate. It probably would’ve of gotten a lot more news coverage effecting the Montauk branch in what appears to be the summer season.

That's the info I received, but I believe you are correct as I couldn't locate this via 3D view on Google, etc. Thank you, :-)
 #1500940  by freightguy

Just for comparison in 1989 a UN 1075 propane tank car derailed in Long Island City Yard A. Subsequently the same car derailed at Prima Gas in Holtsville a few days later. Both derailments made Newsday complete with like pictures of the aforementioned derailed car. I had the article from Newsday in 1989/90, but have since lost it. However maybe because it was a hazmat car it drew a lot more attention and made Newsday twice. Maybe NY Times has this derailment in its archives?

Someone recently sent polaroids of a power pack vs a flatbed truck up on the Oyster Bay Branch probably the mid 1990’s. The engine was in the NYS colors.
 #1501401  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:CR and Everyone: "...The 1993 Queens... I remember hauled soil or other waste from Queens out
to the Holtsville area for disposal? LIST-NRHS wrote again about this accident in the "Semaphore"..." MACTRAXX
Any idea which Semaphore as perhaps I can find it in the pile I have?
Steve: April and May 1993 should be the issues to have articles about the 3/10/1993 Queens
Interlocking wreck most likely in the LIRR News Notes section.

LIST Semaphores are/were mailed out in a manner to inform members with enough lead time in
advance of the meeting program on the third Friday of each month (except July and August) and
was even more important back in the day before the Internet. There may have been mention in
the March 1993 issue initially about the Queens Interlocking wreck but it is unlikely...MACTRAXX
 #1502312  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:CR and Everyone: "...I had never seen the 1998 Speonk MP15 #165 picture - did the unit pick a switch and was the
only equipment derailed there? I did not know that FL9 #301 was the one that dropped into the turntable pit at Morris Park.
That was the unit that was "retired" unofficially and retained for parts for #300 and #302 am
I right? Did this happen in 1992 or 1993?..." MACTRAXX
1. Any further info on 1998 Speonk MP15 #165 derail at Speonk?
2. FL9 #301 drop into MP turntable pit? Date?

I'd like to add this material to the wreck page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrwr ... wrecks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you.