Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1499480  by baldwr

Was passing Peachtree station this afternoon and it looked like today’s Cresent departure (20/05)was being prepped (ca 13:30h). Looked like a standard consist with a AMII coaches, AMII lounge, VII diner, and VI sleepers, but noticed what looked like an extra sleeper of the VII variety (PH3 striping, Amtrak’s America logo, vestibule) at the rear just before the baggage. Thread seemed a little quiet... not sure if this belongs here or the interesting sightings thread... those of you up north keep your eyes peeled.
 #1499498  by Amtrak706

What you saw was the single Viewliner I sleeper that got Phase IIIb stripes and the “River” series name a few years ago. All of them were supposed to get this treatment after the V2 sleepers came in, but who knows if either will still happen. There are currently no V2 sleepers delivered.
 #1499612  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Baldwin, that's the "New River" - a V1 in Phase 3 livery. I also observed such on The Crescent - NB #20 at Danville, VA this past April - 4hrs late!
 #1500504  by Greg Moore

Now if only we had a CEO with real vision of expansion, they could start a discussion on the 70 car option!

But that's not going to happen under Anderson. :-(
 #1500508  by ApproachMedium

At this point any options would just be a waste of time and money. It took so long for anything to get done here CAF should be banned from any further amtrak bids.
 #1500517  by Greg Moore

Do we all know it's CAF's fault? I've seen enough evidence that at least some of the blame is on the side of Amtrak. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak has been slow to pay on these under Anderson.

And while I'm not a huge fan of CAF at this point, I think expanding the sleeper/diner/baggage fleet is a good idea, and starting over with another vendor strikes me as an even worse idea.
 #1500539  by Tadman

Agreed, we have heard none of the story yet. I'm very hesitant to assign blame on the carmaker yet.
 #1500576  by ApproachMedium

CAFs poor reputation of delivering products on time existed long before amtrak came to the picture and it even exists on the euro side as well.
 #1500580  by gaspeamtrak

Caf seems to have got the "Caledonian Sleeper order right???
These cars were ordered about two years ago roughly ?
There are 4 sets of equipment.Two for the "Highland Sleeper" and two for the "Lowland Sleeper. 16 cars each is the max length for "Euston Station " in London.
16 cars x 4 = 64 cars + 11 spares.
Each train consist of 12 sleepers, 2 coaches and two lounges.
They were supposed two come out in the fall of 2018 roughly but are delayed till about May 2019 I think ?
Not to shabby??? :wink: