Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken Terminal Capacity

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1474827  by SecaucusJunction

I don't believe anyone actually sits in the middle seat anyway. That's probably why they made the ML are now 2x2
 #1474914  by trainbrain

ML is 2x2 because the floor is raised on the lower level for where the seats are and they just made the upper the same.

People do sit in the middle seat sometimes on comets but only on the most crowded trains. Usually it ends up being 2×1 or 2×2 in terms of actual seats occupied.
 #1474949  by andegold

I've been on plenty of Comets and Arrows that were packed 3x2 plus standees all up and down ten or even 12 (Arrows) cars. And that includes arguments and near fist fights over people not moving their crap off the middle seat. Nobody wants to sit there but they will gladly do so when given the choice of (a) middle seat (b) standing in the aisle (c) standing in the vestibule or waiting for the next train.
 #1496641  by erie910

Back in the early 1970's, train 57 from Hoboken to Port Jervis had 10-11 Stillwell coaches. Of course, this was before NJT and before the NJ Dep't of Transportation would permit the new push-pull equipment to venture west of Suffern except for one eastbound morning train that originated at Middletown.
 #1496919  by GSC

A few months ago, service from Hoboken to the NJ Coast Line was suspended. Are there any plans to restore this service?
 #1497073  by JamesRR

trainbrain wrote:ML is 2x2 because the floor is raised on the lower level for where the seats are and they just made the upper the same.

People do sit in the middle seat sometimes on comets but only on the most crowded trains. Usually it ends up being 2×1 or 2×2 in terms of actual seats occupied.
The ML's are 2x2 because riders hate the middle seat, so in the interest of comfort they made it 2x2 - the double level of seats still increases capacity despite losing the middle seat. The arrangement has nothing to do with what's on the lower level seat-wise.
 #1497182  by BigDell

Arrow III's on the corridor, 8AM train from Metropark to NYC, EVERY MIDDLE SEAT is occupied. People often standing as well. Middle seats always occupied on busy NEC trains.... And really it's NOT THAT BAD! :-D
 #1497254  by Defiant

So does anyone have any idea when and if the Hoboken terminal improvement projects start? There are many signs promising work on reconstructed canopy and walkway, building high level platforms in place of a canal, etc? Will any work start in Spring?
 #1497289  by EuroStar

The filling of the canal and the high level platforms there are not scheduled to start this spring. To the best of my knowledge, the work has not gone out for bids yet and then the contract has to be approved by the board before it can be signed and work begun.
 #1497924  by Defiant

Any idea why this project is taking forever? Are the funds even still available; it has been more than six years since Sandy. I actually find those by Googling:
https://www.nj.gov/comptroller/sandytra ... _other.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any idea what this is? What are the "assistance services"?

What about the other work, like building a new canopy? Is that going to start at some point or will Hoboken continue to always have a plywood canapy roof?
 #1504380  by EuroStar

I am happy to note that the filling of the Long Slip canal seems to be moving forward. It is a slow move and as always with NJT, until the shovels are in the ground spending on capital projects is never certain. One press release, currently available on the website touts an open house held on Monday for contractors https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet ... SE_ID=3283. The bits related to the Long Slip canal filling are
Attendees were provided information on a recently upgraded Electronic Bidding Process which creates efficiency for contractors and the agency. Highlights included state-of-good repair program and rail infrastructure opportunities, such as Market Street Bus Garage construction at approximately $30 million; and resilience projects, such as the Long Slip Fill and Rail Enhancement Project at more than $150 million and Delco Lead, estimated at more than $200 million, and Task Order Contract Opportunities.
I believe that most of the money for the fill is federal Sandy recovery money, so I wonder how much pressure they are to use it or lose it.
Another bit indicating that there is movement there comes from the awarding of the Construction Management Contract for the project which was discussed at the March 13 board meeting. From the meeting agenda:
1903-06 NJ TRANSIT RESILIENCE PROGRAM: LONG SLIP FILL AND RAIL ENHANCEMENT – CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT SERVICES – Authorization to enter into NJ TRANSIT Contract No. 18-003 with STV, Inc. for the Construction Management Services of the Long Slip Fill and Rail Enhancement Project at a cost not to exceed $16,443,810.16, plus five percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.
One does need to wonder whether a $150 million project really needs a $16.5 million construction management, but at the end of the day the movement on this is a good thing especially in the light of the stalled new tunnels under the Hudson. The additional 6 tracks should alleviate delays that occur when Midtown Direct service gets diverted to Hoboken and maybe at some point in the future when demand warrants expand service on the Hoboken division.
 #1504420  by Hawaiitiki

Maybe during this process they'll take advantage of those funds and put in the minimal effort required to make the higher numbered platforms at Hoboken Terminal not look like Aleppo.

Probably not though.
 #1504479  by Defiant

Hawaiitiki wrote:Maybe during this process they'll take advantage of those funds and put in the minimal effort required to make the higher numbered platforms at Hoboken Terminal not look like Aleppo.

Probably not though.
All platforms in Hoboken and the whole area outside of the terminal building have this unkempt, rundown look typical of US public transportation infrastructure. That is just part of life in the US.

Any idea what the repairs of the roof & walkway involve? Are there any plans to make the outside roof a little more attractive? And do something about the cracked concrete walkway?

But I think the six new platform are of higher importance since they provide some remote hope that NJ commuters might survive the shutdown of one of the Hudson tubes...
 #1504498  by EuroStar

I suspect that the platforms and the shed are under historic preservation protection so any attempt to do anything about them is going to be mightily expensive. Once you add ADA compliance requirements for any rehabilitation and you are easily looking at $200 million to just restore to a presentable state. Note that any work will likely need to jack up all canopies in order to provide proper clearance under the catenary. It is a money pit and that is why it is in such a bad shape. I see little hope in it improving anytime soon. It is my understanding that the current repairs are only for the damage from the crash.
 #1504687  by GSC

Are there any plans to restore NJCL service direct to Hoboken anytime soon?