Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1493765  by PlaneLoverA380

I heard about a pair of modern M3s, 9893-9894. I would like to see pictures of the inside, considering I have only ridden 9856. I would like to see what it looks like, because my luck has probably run out, and the next uncommon train that I ride will be an M9, I will let you know if I happen to ride it.
 #1493873  by BuddR32

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:I heard about a pair of modern M3s, 9893-9894. I would like to see pictures of the inside, considering I have only ridden 9856. I would like to see what it looks like, because my luck has probably run out, and the next uncommon train that I ride will be an M9, I will let you know if I happen to ride it.
They put a lot of money into it, but not enough. It was meant to be a prototype to update the entire fleet, but the money got pulled pretty quickly. It was the first M3 to get the M-A switched out for the inverter. It sat in Hillside Overhaul shop for a couple of years.

The linoleum was replaced with M7 style flooring, the lower wainscoting was replaced with a white speckle paint looking scheme, as were the seat-shells.

The upper part of the walls that have the State Seal paneling was covered over with a bluish/grayish speckled applique, as were the ceiling panels and whatever else was wood grain.

The seat cushions themselves were never updated and still have the blue/red scheme.

Had the project been given the go-ahead, the cheap stick on coverings would have been real panel replacements, along with the new color scheme seats.

I know this doesnt help with pictures, just some info.
 #1493875  by SwingMan

Although still noticeable, the car has already shown the same wear and tear that the rest of the fleet has over the past decade. The wallpaper is peeling in many spots, the flooring is beatup, and the seats are covered in a fine layer of human grease.
Meanwhile, Metro North somehow did get budgeted to completely overhaul their fleet, and it is incredible to see what a difference it made. It's too bad, now we're all going to have to suffer with these beaten up warhorses for way longer than anyone had planned.
 #1494029  by Head-end View

Aren't the M-3's slated to be retired as the M-9's arrive and go into service?
 #1494033  by R36 Combine Coach

For LIRR, yes. MNCR's M-3As had had their own CSR program and still have life in them.
 #1494130  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote:Aren't the M-3's slated to be retired as the M-9's arrive and go into service?
Plus a few years. Right now there is only an order for 92 M9 cars. Not enough to replace the 140 or so M3s in service each day. Let alone an increase in fleet size needed.
 #1494191  by Head-end View

Well I'm all for keeping them as long as possible to maintain whatever front-window viewing we still have in the New York area. :(
 #1494200  by PlaneLoverA380

I’ve been playing that new LIRR sim and if you close the cab door so that it is only a 1/3 cab, there are two front windows, one with seats.