Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1493121  by ConstanceR46

I'm very intrigued by the existence of frames for a hack on 730 West Broadway, Woodmere. The property, which is now a plumbers office, included a offset-cupola hack up until the 1990s, when the structure deteriorated. Now the interesting part is they built over the frame instead of getting rid of it.

Is there any ID to this hack?
 #1493296  by MADDOG

Ah, yes. The "spice of Life" restaurant. The food was really good.
I hope that you can find any info.
MADDOG
 #1493342  by ConstanceR46

Okay, so apparently LIRR C-93, a former IC hack, was part of a restaurant in Westbury located at 649 Old Country Road in the late 70s. Could this perhaps have been purchased by The Spice Of Life and moved there, or does anyone have an alternate fate for it?
 #1493408  by ConstanceR46

Great, now i have 2 hack resturants to track down!

It being wood makes this even odder, as i don't think the LIRR or PRR had hacks with end cupolas made of wood.
 #1494427  by trainspot

The C-93 was not the Spice of Life caboose. I have a picture if it & will post it here when I can.
 #1494439  by nyandw

trainspot wrote:The C-93 was not the Spice of Life caboose. I have a picture if it & will post it here when I can.
Correct, I never indicated it was. C-93 was posted as "Westbury, NY at the Little Red Caboose Restaurant" with the ex-IC LIRR version posted below it for comparison...
 #1494441  by nyandw

trainspot wrote:
Kelly&Kelly wrote:From what I recall, I don't believe that was the Spice of Life caboose. I believe theirs was wood?
You are correct! And here is my photo of it. I darkened it so you can read "Spice of Life" in the logo:
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=5063845
Interesting, are those truss rods under the body, or added plumbing piping for HVAC? Could this be a ex-IC LIRR hack with a new exterior added (stud walls, wood, insulation, electric, new window locations, etc.) to meet restaurant code? I raise this issue as it has a IC look and cheap to obtain (for the owners)as the LIRR sent them to scrap or C96 to SIRT.
 #1494444  by ConstanceR46

That photo helps me a ton.

Honestly, being wooden, in the NYC Met. area, having an offset cupola, the window layout and the bogies seem to narrow it down to a circa-1910 NYC Standard Caboose. See NYC 19211 for comparison - i think it's the exact same class.
 #1494455  by trainspot

ConstanceR46 wrote:That photo helps me a ton.

Honestly, being wooden, in the NYC Met. area, having an offset cupola, the window layout and the bogies seem to narrow it down to a circa-1910 NYC Standard Caboose. See NYC 19211 for comparison - i think it's the exact same class.
That looks to be a perfect match!
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2584296